Enviva is a seeking a Controls Engineer to join Enviva’s Centers of Excellence (COE) controls engineering team. This individual must be a self-starter with an advanced understanding of PLC controls logic programming, and drive controls. This position will lead controls standardization, controls modification, hardware upgrades across the enterprise (multi-plant support). Successful candidate will be critical in helping identify process improvement opportunities and bring about process stability utilizing sound controls philosophy and timeliness of implementation.
- Be the primary interface with multi-plant operations to help with hands on troubleshooting (logically and in the field) and formulate/implement solutions via PLC programming and hardware.
- Lead implementation of programming changes to maintain/increase up time at the sites.
- Participate in best practice sharing and standardization of controls and hardware changes from one plant to next.
- Create and communicate Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) on new process controls implementation and lead training for Ops/Maintenance personnel.
- Coordinate and lead I&C vendor management.
- Keep up with and look for opportunities to implement latest technology development in controls industry.
- Interpret and adhere to industry standards and regulatory codes.
- Support other engineering projects with functional specification development and resource coordination to meet schedule and cost deliverables, this includes all Southeast regional projects and existing facilities. Some activities may include: engineering documentation review, understanding of the document review cycles, involvement in development of engineering documentation that includes instrumentation and controls.
- Support new plant design by reviewing and recommending appropriate changes to all areas of the I&C functional area; hardware/software, vendor, HMI platform, Data Historian.
- Ensure appropriate I&C procedures, design guidelines and design tools are utilized.
- Interface with Operations, support reliability efforts by providing hands on and involved technical support, training, and overall guidance to the plant operations.
- Provide electrical system integration and field troubleshooting support as required during start-up and commissioning.
- Demonstrate discipline and rigor around documenting all changes using Enviva’s standard Management of Change (MOC) process.
- Bachelor’s degree in an electrical / controls engineering.
- 15 years of relevant experience in I&C work including but not limited to:
- Instrument specification and installation
- Communication Networking, Servers
- Wiring/Loop Diagrams
- ControlLogix PLC architecture
- ControlLogix PLC configuration
- Panel Layouts, HMI Configuration
- Interlock and continuous control logic development
- Data Historian architecture and implementation
- FAT and commissioning of PLC/DCS system and including field instrumentation
- Must be able to read/modify electrical schematics and be familiar with and able to program ControlLogix ladder logic, function block, and add on instructions.
- Experience in Allen Bradley ControlLogix PLC, Plant PAX, and HMI programming software is a plus.
- Must be able to achieve requirements of Enviva’s standard Controls Engineer technical evaluation that will include both written and hands on portions.
- Must be data-driven and possess a high level of attention to detail .
- Project management experience, including developing project scope, budgets and schedules.
- Thrives in a team environment, is a "self-starter" and "results oriented".
- Works well with other disciplines (IT, process engineering, maintenance) to fully understand manufacturing system functionality and design requirements .
- Experience in supporting a continuous manufacturing environment (pulp and paper mill or wood products experience is a plus).
- Proactive regarding safety. Seeks to identify and correct potential safety or environmental deviations before they occur.
- Proficient knowledge of electrical distribution and MCCs.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills .
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint with the ability to learn other applications related to the job.
- Basic experience in database applications, including Access, SQL, etc.
- While everything above is a requirement, very significant experience in highly related fields will be considered as a possible alternative
- Experience in wood product, pulp or paper industry.
- Understanding of the wood pellet manufacturing process.
- Added experience with mechanical operations of wood processing equipment.
- Experience with web-based applications including Microsoft 365, Oracle based applications.
- Familiarity with Log-Me-In website remote interface.
- Basic understanding of networking and server architectures.
- Self-directed work ethic with weekly direction from supervisor.
- Desire to grow and develop into future roles across the enterprise.
- Experience centered in working directly with both operators and engineers and understanding how to add value for both in different ways.
- Periodic after-hours remote PLC/HMI support.
- Weekly remote meetings with COE Engineering Team members.
- On-the-job training at existing facilities.
- Willing and able to work around moving equipment and machinery
- Willing and able to pull and lift, up to 50 lbs.
- Travel within a 1 and 1 ½ hour from home base.
- Possible travel to Cottondale, FL facility.
- Quarterly travel to Raleigh, NC or other sites/locations.
Enviva is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity (EEO) in any term, condition or privilege of employment. Enviva does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, uniform service member, genetic information or any other status protected by law. Enviva complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we operate.