We’re so happy you found us. Since you’ve come this far, it’s safe to say you’re curious about our story and what career opportunities exist, so we’d love to start by introducing ourselves.
Then & Now
Our story starts in 2006 with three founders in a Sydney garage (no, we’re not kidding). Born from a desire to earn a living doing what they loved, with the flexibility to do it from anywhere, Envato set out to create an online community for buying and selling creative digital assets. Nearly 13 years later, we’re profitable and still totally bootstrapped. This allows us to stay super experimental and totally focused on the best interests of our authors & customers around the world.
We’ve built marketplaces where anyone can buy and sell the creative assets they need to complete their projects faster. Our community can now buy millions of different kinds of assets on Envato Market, or subscribe to the #1 unlimited subscription service for creatives, Envato Elements. Every day, these products continue to help everyone from freelancers to small business owners and agencies get their creative projects done.
While we are known and loved within the digital professional community globally, where our authors have earned over $750 million, we also want to be a place where anyone can Make with Envato. Alongside Market & Elements, our portfolio also includes Milkshake, a website builder for Instagrammers, Placeit, a smart template tool for logos, mockups, graphic design & more, Mixkit, for free stock footage and animation, and most recently, Twenty20, a stock-photo subscription service.
With over 600 people globally, we have offices in Guadalajara, Mexico & Los Angeles, alongside our funky Melbourne HQ. We pride ourselves on being super remote friendly, with a staffing population just as diverse as the global community that use our products. To keep this sustainable as we scale, we support people to work from anywhere, whether that’s the beach in Croatia, on the Mornington Peninsula, or from their living room.
Along with working at Australia's premier Ruby development company, you'll get to work with a modern tech stack and high performance, high-availability infrastructure. Whether you're a passionate newbie (with experience as a developer) or you've worked at our scale before, we'd love to hear from you.
Successful candidates will be working on Milkshake, a new entry in the mobile website builder space from Envato. Milkshake delivers on the promise of being able to create a website using your favourite android or iOS device within minutes of installing the app. We’re looking for developers to help us make our customers dreams reality.
On a day to day basis you will:
- Write clean, well thought out and reliable code
- Participate as a member of a small cross functional team containing members with different skills and experience
- You'll work on big projects, small maintenance tasks, server management tasks and anything else that makes software our customers love
- Take lots of responsibility for your work as most teams don't have analysts, testers or system administrators
- Take part in our 24/7 on-call rotation supporting one of the biggest websites in the world
What you’ll be doing
As a front end developer for Envato you will contribute to the ongoing improvement of architecture, code structure, library choices, development practices and testing techniques.
What we’re looking for
- Experience working with designers to build responsive websites
- Strong familiarity with the front end open source ecosystem, and the ability to make appropriate platform choices for the task at hand
- Experience developing maintainable and scalable code in a team of multiple front end developers
- Understanding of front end performance considerations
- Experience architecting CSS in a maintainable fashion
- Experience using CSS pre and post processors
- Ability to develop for multiple browsers and multiple devices
- Experience developing with progressive enhancement / graceful degradation in mind
- Familiar with version control systems and comfortable using Git
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience working with designers from the inception of a feature to production deployment
- Experience working with React, using ES2016
- Experience working with Redux / Flux architectures
- Exposure to UX design tools and methodologies
- Demonstrable skills in user interface design
- Understanding of accessibility requirements
Can you Meet the Expectations of Envato's Engineering Team?
At Envato, our Engineers expect certain things of each other. Not all of these are easy to uphold. Are you ready to join the team and meet the expectations of your peers at Envato? Read about the expectations and how they were developed by our team on our technical blog.
What we offer
- A fantastic culture of creatively minded, hard working people who are passionate about Envato and being part of its growth and success
- Flexible working conditions – we want you to love your work but also your life outside of Envato
- We actively work on creating a safe, inclusive environment free from discrimination
- A fast paced and progressive environment where everyone has regular interaction with teammates and Envato community members from all over the world!
- Read more from our staff about why they love working at Envato by visiting www.jobadvisor.com.au/envato
- In addition to hiring for our Melbourne CBD office, we will also consider applications from people who would like to work remotely (Australia wide)
- Future career progression will be available across the entire business - we're big on internal opportunities and professional growth!
- We’re offering a competitive salary package & benefits ($85k-$125k package, but flexible depending on experience)
Who should apply?
We care deeply about diversity at Envato, and welcome applicants of all types, and from all backgrounds. If you think you have the skills and experience needed for this role then we'd like to hear from you.
Submit a cover letter, an up to date copy of your resume and answers to the below questions. Good luck!