We’re so happy you found us. Since you’ve come this far, it’s safe to say you’re curious about our story and what career opportunities exist, so we’d love to start by introducing ourselves.
Then & Now
Our story starts in 2006 with three founders in a Sydney garage (no, we’re not kidding). Born from a desire to earn a living doing what they loved, with the flexibility to do it from anywhere, Envato set out to create an online community for buying and selling creative digital assets. Nearly 13 years later, we’re profitable and still totally bootstrapped. This allows us to stay super experimental and totally focused on the best interests of our authors & customers around the world.
We’ve built marketplaces where anyone can buy and sell the creative assets they need to complete their projects faster. Our community can now buy millions of different kinds of assets on Envato Market, or subscribe to the #1 unlimited subscription service for creatives, Envato Elements. Every day, these products continue to help everyone from freelancers to small business owners and agencies get their creative projects done.
While we are known and loved within the digital professional community globally, where our authors have earned over $750 million, we also want to be a place where anyone can Make with Envato. Alongside Market & Elements, our portfolio also includes Milkshake, a website builder for Instagrammers, Placeit, a smart template tool for logos, mockups, graphic design & more, Mixkit, for free stock footage and animation, and most recently, Twenty20, a stock-photo subscription service.
With over 600 people globally, we have offices in Guadalajara, Mexico & Los Angeles, alongside our funky Melbourne HQ. We pride ourselves on being super remote friendly, with a staffing population just as diverse as the global community that use our products. To keep this sustainable as we scale, we support people to work from anywhere, whether that’s the beach in Croatia, on the Mornington Peninsula, or from their living room.
What you'll be doing
Along with working at Australia's premier Ruby development company, you'll get to work with a modern tech stack and high performance, high-availability infrastructure. Successful candidates will be working on Milkshake, a new entry in the mobile website builder space from Envato. Milkshake delivers on the promise of being able to create a website using your favourite android or iOS device within minutes of installing the app. We’re looking for developers to help us make our customers dreams reality.
What we’re looking for
You will have built and managed large scale, web facing systems serving millions of requests a month while still supporting many deploys a day. You understand that configuring and managing this scale of infrastructure requires a fully-automated infrastructure provisioning toolset. You need to have a broad knowledge of system administration, networking, databases, security, storage and performance and have expertise in at least one of these disciplines.
You align with the goals of the DevOps movement in improving collaboration between the development and operations disciplines.
What you’ll be doing
We value people who can roll up their sleeves and get things done while keeping the big goals in sight. As a Site Reliability Engineer, you'll be part of a team that supports the wider engineering team to ensure the reliability of Envato's new products. Here's a snapshot of your day-to-day:
- Availability: work to increase the mean-time-between-failures and decrease the mean-time-to-repair of public-facing systems
- Monitoring: contribute to the improvement of the monitoring and measurement systems that support our operational scale and continuous delivery
- Operations: help the engineering team to operate the systems required to deliver the sites
- Emergency Response: take part in the roster to support the site after normal office hours, troubleshoot live production issues, facilitate the response to emergency situations, and review incidents and make recommendations based on lessons learned
- Performance, Efficiency & Latency: contribute to the measurement techniques that assist in the performance tuning of the applications stack, use the monitoring systems to help maintain application performance at acceptable levels, and recommend and implement performance improvements across the stack
- Security & Risk: participate in the ongoing process to identify and mitigate risk in Market systems
- Capacity Planning: use our monitoring to advise on capacity requirements
- A commitment to continual learning
- On value with Envato’s passionate and supportive culture
- Has provided a positive contribution to both operations-focused and development-focused work
- Communicates well in person and in writing
- Has built and maintained cloud-based applications and infrastructure
- Linux administration
- Monitoring and logging tools
- Passion for and experience in best practice systems operations tools and techniques
- Supporting a large public facing web-based application
- Has worked with tools and frameworks for automating infrastructure
Technologies you'll be working with
- DDoS defence systems
- Datadog, NewRelic, Sentry and Sumologic Monitoring and Logging Tools
- Application and Edge Caching and CDNs
- Ruby and Ruby-on-Rails application development
- React Native and iOS application development
- Postgres (SQL performance tuning and troubleshooting)
- Security and Risk identification, assessment and mitigation
- Self-healing systems
- Continuous Integration and Delivery using Buildkite
- Mobile build, deploy and release automation tools such as Fastlane and TestFlight
And in our environment we value people who
- Are nice
- Are self-starters with a sense of humour
- Contribute to Open Source projects
- Have experience in other agile environments
- Prefer a culture of shared responsibility between software developers and infrastructure specialists
What we offer
The challenge of scale and speed of change
As a Site Reliability Engineer you’ll be working in an environment which is unique in its scale and pace of change in Australia. The core application (written in Ruby on Rails) peaks at around 20,000 requests a minute and handles around 25 million application requests a day. Our development team will typically deploy the entire application 15-20 times per day and we are deploying software-defined infrastructure updates many times a week. Our traffic is 24/7 so there no “quiet periods” for maintenance. All this combined means you are unlikely to find a more challenging role of this kind in Australia.
A great team and culture
- We’re careful about hiring, and have built a team of great devs
- Developers are responsible for features from inception through to them being in the hands of customers. The devs talk directly to customers about what they’re working on
- We do continuous delivery properly: any team member can deploy, and we regularly do several deploys a day
- We publish portions of our code as open source, and contribute back to open source projects we use
- We run regular retro and education sessions, and constantly encourage our team to improve their craft
- We have a low politics-to-actual-work ratio
- A fantastic culture of creatively minded, hard working people who are passionate about Envato and being part of its growth and success
- Flexible working conditions – we want you to love your work but also your life outside of Envato
- We actively work on creating a safe, inclusive environment free from discrimination
- A fast paced and progressive environment where everyone has regular interaction with teammates and Envato community members from all over the world!
- Read more from our staff about why they love working at Envato by visiting www.jobadvisor.com.au/envato
- We’re offering a competitive salary package & benefits ($85k-$125k package, but flexible depending on experience)
Who should apply?
We care deeply about diversity at Envato, and welcome applicants of all types, and from all backgrounds. If you think you have the skills and experience needed for this role then we'd like to hear from you.
Submit a cover letter, an up to date copy of your resume and answers to questions in the application form. Good luck!