- Join our thriving global, online business
- Work in an environment which is unique in its scale and pace of change in Australia
- Based in our Melbourne CBD Head Office or remote (Australia wide)
Headquartered in Melbourne, Australia, we're a completely online company with an ecosystem of sites and services to help people get creative. In September 2014, one of our sites, ThemeForest, was the 90th most visited website in the world and it remains among the most visited Australian-owned website on the planet! With more than 350 staff and contractors worldwide, we've helped a community of creative sellers earn more than $500 Million.
JobAdvisor awarded us the title of Australia's Coolest Company for Women and Diversity (2015 and 2016). We were also named as one of the Best Places to Work in Australia in the 2015, 2016 and 2017 BRW Awards.
On Envato Market thousands of people earn a living selling things like WordPress themes, photos, music tracks and illustrations. With Envato Elements, we oversee one of the world’s largest subscription services for digital creatives, providing hundreds of thousands of files for unlimited download for one flat fee. We offer website design and hosting with Envato Sites. On our education platform Tuts+, over 5 million people learn skills including code, illustration, photography, web design, and more, each month. We also run a freelance marketplace called Envato Studio.
You might be surprised to know that not only do we run some of the biggest websites in the world; we’re also growing really fast!
What we’re looking for
You are comfortable with application development, scripting in various languages, as well as caring about the performance of the applications. You understand the underlying environment that your systems run on and can suggest and make changes. You can build deployment pipelines and integrate monitoring systems, and expect that deployments can happen multiple times a day without issue.
You want to support other teams to do the best work they can in the most efficient way.
You align with the goals of the DevOps movement in improving collaboration between the development and operations disciplines.
What you’ll be doing
We value people who can roll up their sleeves and get things done while keeping the big goals in sight. As a Senior Development Operations Engineer, you'll be part of a team that supports the wider engineering team to ensure the reliability, security and performance of Envato's websites. Here's a snapshot of your day-to-day:
- Supporting other teams: build and troubleshoot deployment pipelines
- Design and Build: AWS infrastructure and support tooling
- Availability: work to increase the mean-time-between-failures and decrease the mean-time-to-repair of public-facing systems
- Monitoring: contribute to the improvement of the monitoring and measurement systems that support our operational scale and continuous delivery
- Performance, Efficiency & Latency: contribute to the measurement techniques that assist in the performance tuning of the applications stack
- Security & Risk: participate in the ongoing process to identify and mitigate risks
- Support all areas of the business in day to day tasks
- Supporting a large public facing web-based application
- Hands on Ruby and Ruby-on-Rails application development experience
- A commitment to continual learning
- On value with Envato’s passionate and supportive culture
- Has provided a positive contribution to both operations-focused and development-focused work
- Communicates well in person and in writing
- Has built and maintained cloud-based applications and infrastructure
- Reasonable knowledge of Linux administration
- Good understanding of monitoring and logging tools
Technologies you'll be working with
- AWS - cloudformation and tooling
- AWS RDS (Postgresql, MySQL, Aurora)
- Ruby and Ruby-on-Rails application development
- Datadog, NewRelic, Rollbar, and Logging Tools (ELK/Splunk)
- Application and Edge Caching and CDNs
- DDoS defence systems
What we offer
The challenge of scale and speed of change
As a Development Operations Engineer, you’ll be working in an environment which is unique in its scale and pace of change in Australia. The core application (written in Ruby on Rails) peaks at around 20,000 requests a minute and handles around 25 million application requests a day. Our development team will typically automatically deploy their code changes 15-20 times per day. We are deploying tested software-defined infrastructure updates many times a day.
A great team and culture
- We’re careful about hiring, and have built a team of great and diverse people
- We are all responsible for features from inception through to them being in the hands of customers. We talk directly to our customers about what they’re working on
- We actively work on creating a safe, inclusive environment free from discrimination
- Flexible working conditions – we want you to love your work but also your life outside of Envato
- We only do continuous delivery: any team member can deploy, and we regularly do several deploys a day
- We publish portions of our code as open source, and encourage contributions back to open source projects we use
- We constantly support our team to improve their craft and run regular retro and education sessions
- A fantastic culture of creatively minded, hard working people who are passionate about Envato and being part of its growth and success
- A fast paced and progressive environment where everyone has regular interaction with teammates and Envato community members from all over the world!
- Read more from our staff about why they love working at Envato by visiting www.jobadvisor.com.au/envato
- We’re offering a competitive salary package & benefits ($85k-$125k package, but flexible depending on experience)
Who should apply?
We care deeply about diversity at Envato, and welcome applicants of all types, and from all backgrounds. If you think you have the skills and experience needed for this role then we'd like to hear from you.
Submit a cover letter, an up to date copy of your resume and answers to questions in the application form. Good luck!