Twenty20 is bringing stock photography into the modern, mobile age. Our global community of over 250,000 creative mobile photographers have contributed over 45 million photos for sale, making us the largest crowdsourced commercial image catalog in the world. We sell those images to companies like Google, Uber, Thought Catalog, and other leading brands/startups/agencies who are looking for a more authentic alternative to traditional stock imagery.
We are a small, autonomous, 7-person team based in Los Angeles, Marina del Rey working as part of the larger Envato family.
At Twenty20, we're working hard to build a marketplace that connects amateur and professional photographers to brands and agencies that want to buy photos of real people, having real emotions, doing real things. We have tons of massive challenges in engineering and product over both a short timeline as well as over a longer time horizon. We work with massive amounts of unstructured data, and we’re constantly learning and building new ways to help our customers tell their stories with images from our photographer community.
Every team member touches every part of our code base, and we care deeply about fostering an environment that allows us all to teach and learn from each other, regardless of your role or area of expertise. Our engineers work closely with product owners and designers to understand our unique community of artists and buyers, and use that understanding to build highly scalable systems, software, and tools to make them happy and productive.
We work to solve hard problems around photo classification, community management and data analysis, just to name some of the domains we deal with on a daily basis. Lucky for us, we already have an amazing team. We’re looking to add a few members -- if you think you might fit in, we’d love to hear from you.
What you'll be doing
You'll get to work with a modern tech stack and high performance, high-availability infrastructure. Whether you're a passionate newbie (with experience as a developer) or you've worked at our scale before, we'd love to hear from you.
On a day to day basis you will:
- Write clean, well thought out and reliable code
- Participate as a member of a small cross functional team containing members with different skills and experience
- You'll work on big projects, small maintenance tasks, server management tasks and anything else that makes software our customers love
- Take lots of responsibility for your work as most teams don't have analysts, testers or system administrators
- Take part in our 24/7 on-call rotation supporting one of the biggest websites in the world
- Be a nice person who cares about their work
- Communicate well in person and in writing
- Be a curious person committed to continual learning
- Be capable of writing clean, well thought out, and reliable code
- Be comfortable working on a project from the original fuzzy brief through development and deployment and beyond with minimal oversight required
- Have commercial Ruby on Rails, Node.js or Elixir experience
- Have experience with Ember and front end development
- Have experience with AWS and infrastructure
- Have solid TDD/BDD experience
- Have experience of other high volume/scale web apps
- Past experience in other agile environments
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or Engineering
Our Current Stack:
- Ruby, Rails, and Sinatra microservices and apps. Ember.js on the frontend. All running on Heroku and AWS.
- Persistent data storage is done with MySQL, PostgreSQL and Redshift.
- Automated testing is done with Rspec and CircleCI..
- We process millions of Sidekiq jobs per day.
- Changes are indexed into Elasticsearch in real time. Custom Stemmers and CV enhanced metadata.
What We've Got
A Great Team and Culture
- Developers are responsible for features from inception through to them being in the hands of customers. The devs talk directly to our community and customers about what they're working on
- We do continuous delivery properly: any team member can deploy, and we regularly do several deploys a day
- We publish portions of our code as open source, and contribute back to open source projects we use
- A fantastic culture of creatively minded, hard working people who are passionate about Envato and being part of its growth and success
- Flexible working conditions – we want you to love your work but also your life outside of Envato
- We actively work on creating a safe, inclusive environment free from discrimination
- Future career progression will be available across the entire business - we're big on internal opportunities and professional growth!
- Competitive salary and team member benefits
Who should apply?
We care deeply about diversity and inclusion at Envato and welcome applicants of all types, and from all backgrounds. If you think you have the skills and experience needed for this role then we'd like to hear from you.
Submit a cover letter, an up to date copy of your resume and answers to the application questions. Good luck!