In line with our long history of flexible working, Envato is continuing to hire throughout the COVID-19 period, with all interviewing and on-boarding currently taking place virtually. All of our existing and future employees around the world will continue to Work from home for the time being, supporting our creative community to thrive through these ever-changing times.
What we’re looking for
You are comfortable with application development, scripting in various languages, as well as caring about the performance of the applications. You understand the underlying environment that your systems run on and can suggest and make changes. You can build deployment pipelines and integrate monitoring systems, and expect that deployments can happen multiple times a day without issue.
You want to support other teams to do the best work they can in the most efficient way.
You align with the goals of the DevOps movement in improving collaboration between the development and operations disciplines.
What you’ll be doing
We value people who can roll up their sleeves and get things done while keeping the big goals in sight. As a Development Operations Engineer, you'll be part of a team that supports the wider engineering team to ensure the reliability, security and performance of Envato's websites. Here's a snapshot of your day-to-day:
- Supporting other teams: build and troubleshoot deployment pipelines
- Design and Build: AWS infrastructure and support tooling
- Availability: work to increase the mean-time-between-failures and decrease the mean-time-to-repair of public-facing systems
- Monitoring: contribute to the improvement of the monitoring and measurement systems that support our operational scale and continuous delivery
- Performance, Efficiency & Latency: contribute to the measurement techniques that assist in the performance tuning of the applications stack
- Security & Risk: participate in the ongoing process to identify and mitigate risks
- Support all areas of the business in day to day tasks
- Supporting a large public facing web-based application
- Hands on Ruby and Ruby-on-Rails application development experience
- A commitment to continual learning
- On value with Envato’s passionate and supportive culture
- Has provided a positive contribution to both operations-focused and development-focused work
- Communicates well in person and in writing
- Has built and maintained cloud-based applications and infrastructure
- Reasonable knowledge of Linux administration
- Good understanding of monitoring and logging tools
Technologies you'll be working with
- AWS - CloudFormation and tooling
- AWS RDS (Postgresql, MySQL, Aurora)
- Ruby and Ruby-on-Rails application development
- Datadog, NewRelic, Rollbar, and Logging Tools (SumoLogic)
- Application and Edge Caching and CDNs (Cloudflare/CloudFront)
- DDoS defence systems
- Containers (AWS ECS, Docker)
The challenge of scale and speed of change
As a Development Operations Engineer, you’ll be working in an environment which is unique in its scale and pace of change in Australia. The core applications peak at around 80,000 requests a minute and handle around 100 million application requests a day. Our development teams will typically automatically deploy their code changes 15-20 times per day. We are deploying tested software-defined infrastructure updates many times a day.
Today, we're home to over 600 staff in many locations. Over 700k customers purchase content with Envato every month, and the creative community has earned over $1billion USD through our platforms. We're certified as a BCorp and consistently rank highly in Australia's Great Place to Work survey.
We’re here without a single dollar of investment or debt, because we’ve been profitable every single year.
What we offer
Purpose and Profit — Envato is a purpose-driven, BCorp certified business. We strive to have a positive impact on the lives of all of our stakeholders, from content creators and customers to our staff and the broader community.
Global Impact — Envato helps anyone unlock their creative potential. Millions of people around the world use Envato’s products to bring their ideas to life and earn a living using their creative skills.
Diverse and Inclusive — Envato consistently ranks high in Australia’s Great Place to Work survey. We’re committed to ensuring all our staff feel welcome, included and respected every day they work for Envato, through a caring, engaged and flexible work environment.
Personal Growth — At Envato, personal development and career progression can take many forms. Envatians are supported to shape their careers through our Apprentice Developer program, secondment opportunities, investment into development programs, or formal mentoring and more.a
Who should apply?
We care deeply about diversity and inclusion at Envato, and welcome applicants of all types, and from all backgrounds. If you think you have the skills and experience needed for this role then we'd like to hear from you. We are considering applicants to either work remotely from anywhere Australia & New Zealand, or eventually join us in our Melbourne HQ.