About the company.
We believe human connections are an integral part of unlocking the magic of technology, so we’ve set out to change the way people buy technology products by adding the human touch. Enjoy was founded by Ron Johnson, the former head of all Apple Stores, as well as other former Apple design and retail executives.
When you buy with Enjoy, your tech purchase will be hand-delivered by a highly trained Enjoy Expert. The Expert will meet you with your new product wherever and whenever you want in as fast as four hours. Trust us, this is not about speed and delivery, it’s about the experience you’ll have with the Expert. Experts then spend up to an hour helping you get set up and started and maybe even show you a few tips and tricks. The best part of our service -- it's free (the cost is picked up by our product partners).
Here’s a little video we made to explain it: See How It Works
About the role
Behind every great product is a great team, and behind every great team is a great leader. That's what we expect from our Software Engineering (SWE) Managers. SWE Managers not only lead a SWE team and foster a healthy and productive engineering culture, but they also need to have the technical prowess to define a high level architecture and roll up their sleeves and execute on that architecture.
There's more to being a SWE Manager than just technical chops too. You're entrusted to partner with Product to define the roadmap and the overall strategy and vision for your area of the business. SWE Managers are expected to have a strong product mindset: knowing how to roll out new features, when to build an MVP vs. go all in, and how to prioritize investments, debt, and bugs. You're treated as much an owner of the business and its success as a product owner.
What You'll Be Doing...
As a Software Engineering manager you will...
- Lead a team of engineers, keeping members motivated, productive, and growing.
- Own an area of the business, partnering with Product to define the roadmap, vision, and architecture.
- Cultivate a healthy, productive, effective engineering culture.
- Drive the full execution lifecycle: from definition, design, implementation, to release and iteration.
About our Engineering culture
- The best ideas win - no matter who or where they may come from.
- Problems not solutions - engineers focus on solving problems, not building solutions handed to them. No one wants to be a code-monkey.
- Move fast and iterate - we strive for continuous deployment enabled by healthy testing, monitoring, and feature flagging. Quick progress is better than waiting for perfect because you don't know what perfect is.
- Strong opinions, loosely held - we're all passionate but open-minded, both are essential to building a successful and talented team.
- Shipping is just the beginning - Are customers using the feature? Do we see a lift in metrics? Was our hypothesis right? It's not just about writing code or deploying features, it's about making an impact.
- 2+ years of experience developing in React or another modern frontend framework.
- 2+ years of experience developing in Ruby
- 2+ years of experience managing, mentoring, and growing an engineering team
- 5+ years of experience in designing and building web applications to scale
- Enjoy whiteboarding data models, user interfaces, and workflows with others
- Thrive in a fast-paced, bottom-up culture.
- Loves a hands-on approach, thinking with a product mindset, and getting ship done.
This job description is not intended as a comprehensive or exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications necessary for the position described herein. The duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of the position are subject to change without notice.
All offers of employment are subject to background checks and drug screens prior to start date. Enjoy will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable local, state, and federal laws and Fair Chance Ordinances.
As an equal opportunity employer, Enjoy is proud to maintain a workplace characterized by mutual respect, inclusivity, and the celebration of diversity. All qualified applicants are welcome and will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, disability, veteran status, or other applicable protected characteristic under local, state, or federal law.