As the Head of Data Science, your mission is to lead the team to solve our hardest data science challenges, including:
- building sophisticated entity resolution software to identify real-world businesses from billions of records from hundreds of diverse sources
- predicting business behavior and attributes and validating them against ground truth sources
- creating a culture and infrastructure to rapidly move from hypothesis to impact
Enigma’s product is data, and thus data science is the beating heart of Enigma’s product. You will lead a team of data scientists to build the most reliable and comprehensive dataset about businesses in the US. In that pursuit, you will define Enigma’s data science roadmap, work with the team to execute it, and collaborate heavily with product managers and engineers.
We are looking for someone who will:
- Take a hands-on approach to helping the team solve problems in statistics, experiment design, distributed machine learning and data engineering (we use python libraries and Spark extensively)
- Work with cross-functional partners to develop a data science roadmap that achieves the company’s goals
- Establish standards for research design that increase iteration speed and ensure reproducibility
- Put in place tooling and processes that promote transparency and collaboration among data scientists, product managers and engineers
- Plan the team’s work to maximize direction and autonomy--objectives are clear, dependencies are identified and team members are paired with suitable goals
- Develop repeatable strategies for validating the team’s results against ground truth
- Accelerate the professional development of a team of 5-10 data scientists
What makes this job interesting?
- Leadership: you will lead a critical portion of Enigma's roadmap and shape the culture and processes of the team
- Impact: Data science at many companies focuses on making better product development and business decisions. At Enigma, data science is the core of our actual product!
- Technical challenge: Enigma is solving some of the hardest problems in the world related to entity resolution and pushing the boundaries of what’s possible. You will be critical to our success.
Our ideal candidate will:
- Bring 8+ years of industry experience in statistics, experiment design, distributed machine learning and data engineering
- Enjoy being hands-on and working alongside the team on problems
- Demonstrate a track record of building teams that consistently deliver results and growing individuals
- Effectively communicate with technical and non-technical audiences
- Have an advanced degree in a quantitative discipline (e.g. Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, etc.)
Bonus points if you:
- Bring experience combining diverse sets of data at scale
At Enigma, we’re building the single, most reliable source of data on businesses to power the future of financial services. By engineering better data from hundreds of public and third-party sources, we aim to tell the complete story of every business, so that companies of every size can access the financial services they need to grow and thrive. Our core values - generosity, curiosity, ingenuity, & drive - guide everything we do from how we make our most important product decisions to how we work with and support one another on a daily basis. We’re a team of curious, driven individuals with diverse backgrounds and skills, but we’re all passionate about engineering deeper understanding through data—together. If this resonates, we would love to hear from you!
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.