We are looking for an experienced attorney with strong business acumen, who can serve as a strategic partner across various teams at Enigma. As Director of Legal, you will be working closely with our Leadership, Business Development and Product teams on multiple critical functions - from drafting and executing commercial agreements, to helping oversee corporate governance, information security and data privacy, to managing legal affairs pertaining to our employees and board members. Furthermore, you will oversee and manage relationships with our outside legal counsel and our external information security resources.
Enigma is a fast-growing company and 2021 is going to be a big year. You will play a critical role in helping guide our leadership team’s decisions related to various complex business and legal matters, and will be instrumental in helping us realize substantial growth in our business.
We are looking for someone who will:
- Liaise closely with Enigma’s Business Development and Product teams to draft and execute commercial contracts with our clients, business partners and vendors (e.g., NDAs, MSAs, SOWs, Terms of Service, license agreements, partnership agreements)
- Oversee and manage relationships with outside legal counsel for complex legal matters
- Partner with our HR Director to oversee execution of employee agreements (e.g., employment, termination, incentive compensation), matters involving immigration, compliance with various local labor laws and internal employee policies, and resolution of employee disputes, among other matters
- Oversee relationship with our external information security resource and manage various initiatives, including customer information security audits and annual SOC 2 assessment
- Provide legal advice on business strategy and product development (e.g., in consideration of third-party terms of service and IP restrictions)
- Liaise closely with the CEO and Finance and Operations Director to oversee board and shareholder matters, and assist with management of cap table and various corporate governance and formation documents
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree
- 3+ years of legal practice; commercial contracting and IP experience strongly preferred in technology and software
- 5+ years total work experience, ideally with some background in consulting, tech and/or finance
- Creative problem-solving and negotiation skills with the ability to tackle business goals while ensuring legal compliance
- Strong project and time management skills to oversee time-sensitive matters
- Admitted to practice law and in good standing in New York
At Enigma, we’re building the single, most reliable source of data on businesses to power the future of financial services. By engineering better data from hundreds of public and third-party sources, we aim to tell the complete story of every business, so that companies of every size can access the financial services they need to grow and thrive. Our core values - generosity, curiosity, ingenuity, & drive - guide everything we do from how we make our most important product decisions to how we work with and support one another on a daily basis. We’re a team of curious, driven individuals with diverse backgrounds and skills, but we’re all passionate about engineering deeper understanding through data—together. If this resonates, we would love to hear from you!