Job Title: Credit Operations Manager
Department: Customer Finance
Reporting line: Head of Customer Finance
Location: Maputo, Mozambique
About ENGIE Energy Access
ENGIE Energy Access is the leading Pay-As-You-Go (PAYGo) and mini-grids solutions provider in Africa. The company develops innovative, off-grid solar solutions for homes, public services and businesses, enabling customers and distribution partners access to clean, affordable energy. The PAYGO solar home systems are financed through affordable instalments from $0.19 per day and the mini-grids foster economic development by enabling electrical productive use and triggering business opportunities for entrepreneurs in rural communities. With over 1,800 employees, operations in nine countries across Africa (Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia), over 1.8 million customers and more than 9 million lives impacted so far, ENGIE Energy Access aims to impact 20 million lives across Africa by 2025.
The Customer Finance Team plays a pivotal role in ensuring the overall success of our largely unbanked customers in completing their loans and getting continued access to clean, reliable energy. The team works cross-functionally with our commercial, customer experience, product development and operations on the ground to ensure that we provide all customers with successful responsible onboarding and offer constant support through adequate monitoring and interventions all the way through the lifetime of our customers’ loans.
The Credit Operations Manager will be fundamental to the successful implementation of our Credit Strategy and in achieving our ambitious goals. S/he will work cross-functionally with a wide range of teams acting as the “eyes, ears and mouth” of the Customer Finance team. They’ll work extremely closely with the Commercial and Customer Experience to support in effectively carrying out Customer Finance related work by building out operational processes, systems and tools and making sure the right people get training and support to perform their role in the credit cycle and customer account management. They will work with the Head of Customer Finance and the Global team to ensure application of operational best practices across the credit cycle. They will also lead (from the Customer Finance side) the implementation and operationalization of new processes and innovations that come out of pilots run by the Customer Finance team.
The role has the potential to grow in responsibility over time, and eventually building out a team, as we look to potentially integrate customer onboarding processes.
Customer Finance operations, monitoring and support.
- Monitor performance and report on performance of all Customer Finance activity.
- Work closely with Commercial, Customer Experience and Customer Finance teams to align on ambitious but achievable targets for Customer Finance activities in and out of the field.
- Help foster and encourage a “culture of credit”, understanding of and compliance to standards and performance management against credit KPIs amongst the field team and get regular feedback and ideas from this team to improve how we run our operations.
- Work closely with the CF Specialist to track deliverables on pilot projects & initiatives.
- Carry out the field team compensation processing obligations each week and month.
- Field team digital tools optimization.
- Implement and track Customer finance initiatives (g. home visits, repossessions, tamper response planning, field team compensation.
- Manage and track all cost/expenses of the department.
- Manage system database with respect to customer journey strategies (calling scripts, SMS scripts, SMS broadcast frequency etc.).
- Track SMS success rates and resultant portfolio impact.
- Ad hoc tasks as assigned by Department Head.
- Work with the various stakeholders – Customer Experience, Product, Operations & Commercial at both the country and central level to support business deliverables.
- Work closely with the Marketing team and Customer Finance Specialist to ensure that our customers communications are periodically reviewed and revamped.
- Integrate new customer communications channels and content to improve repayment behavior.
- Work with Commercial to implement regular customer repayment promotions.
System design & continuous operational improvement
- Identifying gaps in the current systems or areas for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of existing Customer Finance related processes.
- Generate requirements for to the Customer Finance Projects Specialist and work closely with the implementing teams to support pilots and A/B Tests that look to improve our credit operations in all areas.
- Lead the operationalization of new systems and process getting buy-in from the implementing team and ensuring they have the right tools and support to successfully roll out.
- Ensure that all current standards and processes are well documented, regularly updated, and made available to applicable team members for reference and development of training materials.
Overall monitoring and reporting
- Generate reports on our Customer Finance related activities, identifying where we are behind/on-track to our plan and detailing action plans and next steps to improve performance.
- Identify areas of risk and under-performance in our Customer Finance Operations and make sure they are escalated appropriately.
At EEA, we have high expectations for our managers. Each manager plays a key role in creating an exceptional experience not only for our customers but for every person on our team. Our managers help EEA realize our ambitious goals while developing their own leadership skills and facilitating growth for their direct reports.
We believe that great managers:
- Deliver ambitious results: As a high-performing and accountable leader, you create an enabling environment for effective action and bold decision which contribute to successful delivery of results.
- Act with integrity: As an ethical leader you are honest, respectful, objective, and transparent. You create and build upon a foundation of trust and openness.
- Inspire and mentor the team: As an inspirational leader you walk the talk. You empower and coach your team with trust and humility.
- Are accessible: as an accessible leader, you develop and maintain deep connections with stakeholders through approachability and active listening.
- Ensure diversity and inclusion: as an inclusive leader, you ensure diversity and foster a sense of belonging.
Required Skills & Experience
- Minimum University degree in Economics, Banking, Finance, Accounting, or related field .
- 7 years’ work experience analytics, credit support or similar, particularly in sectors like Retail financial services or any related field.
- Experience in working directly with commission-based agents will be an advantage.
- Strong interpersonal skills with high degree of clarity in communication.
- Experience in delivering training to large groups; designing the material, coordinating the participants and venue, facilitating the session, and following up with the participants for assessment.
- Ability to generate new ideas and bring them through to implementation in a structured way.
- Deep empathy for the customer and commitment to inclusivity, consumer protection, & responsible financial services within the context of creating a profitable, scalable enterprise.
- Excitement about ENGIE’s mission and a deep desire to make an impact on off-grid and financially underserved customers in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Commitment to spending time in the field to support and mentor field teams.
- Proficiency in one or more languages spoken by our customers is a big plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Experience using data analysis tools g. Excel, SQL, Python/R etc. To analyze processes/ performance and make suggestions & improvements is a big plus.
- Being tech-savy is a must.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however due to the large volume of applications we receive, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ENGIE is an equal opportunity employer, promoting diversity and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all. All applications are screened based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without any regard to origin, age, name, sexual identity, orientation or preference, religion, marital status, health, disability, political opinions, union involvement or citizenship. Our differences are our strengths!