Job Title: Hardware Product Engineer
Location: Berlin, Germany
Team: Product and Research & Development
Reporting To: Team Lead, Research & Development
Hay Grade: 15
About ENGIE Energy Access
ENGIE Energy Access is one of the leading Pay-As-You-Go (PAYGo) and mini-grids solutions provider in Africa, with a mission to deliver affordable, reliable and sustainable energy solutions and life-changing services with exceptional customer experience. The company is a result of the integration of Fenix International, ENGIE Mobisol and ENGIE PowerCorner; and develops innovative, off-grid solar solutions for homes, public services and businesses, enabling customers and distribution partners access to clean, affordable energy. The PAYGo solar home systems are financed through affordable installments from $0.19 per day and the mini-grids foster economic development by enabling electrical productive use and triggering business opportunities for entrepreneurs in rural communities. With over 1,700 employees, operations in 9 countries across Africa (Benin, Cote d’Ivoire, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia), over 1.2 million customers and more than 6 million lives impacted so far, ENGIE Energy Access aims to remain the leading clean energy company, serving millions of customers across Africa by 2025.
As part of the ENGIE Energy Access Research and Development team (R&D), you passionately work on new, innovative and life-changing high quality products from concept to mass production and beyond. Bringing in your hardware engineering excellence, you contribute to product development throughout all aspects of the product lifecycle. During concept generation and early product definition you consult the East Africa based Product Management Team on product design and development aspects and translate their product requirements into specifications. Before mass production and during product lifetime, you support our Product Performance Team on product reliability validation activities and collaborate with our Upstream Supply Chain team based in China to bring at our Contract Manufacturers products through New Product Introduction and development iteration cycles.
- R&D product responsibility for different consumer electronic appliances in our product portfolio
- Lead research and validation for alternate PCBA components
- Lead as technical architect new solar power related product developments
- Work with team to layout PCBs as well as procure, bring-up and verify prototypes
- Develop, delegate, and execute product validation test plans for new products
- Analyzing problems, identifying root causes and providing efficient solutions on the system level
- Support other departments in product related technical questions and processes
Knowledge and skills
- 3+ years of experience on development as a hardware engineer, preferably in consumer electronics
- Experience with design and validation of DC power electronics
- Experience working with a product in medium/high volume production (ideally consumer electronic)
- Understanding of electrical testing methods and goals for product testing
- Experience with automating hardware validation tests
- Excellent documentation and interpersonal communication skills
- Proven ability to guide strategic technical decision making and to track and mitigate technical risks
- Experience working with international teams is a plus
- Bachelor or Master BS or greater in Electrical Engineering, Hardware Engineering or similar discipline.
- Broad knowledge about electronics and electrical components.
- Self-driven, independent working style
- Strong team-mindedness and collaborative way of working
- Ability to analyze problems, identify root causes and provide efficient solutions.
- Innovation-oriented mindset, ability to research new topics and arrive at tangible results
- Solid understanding of analog and mixed signal design principles.
- Understanding of battery & solar technologies is a plus
- PCB design (schematics and layout) in Altium or comparable tools
Join us to be part of an incredible company that is making a meaningful difference across Africa. Our team has the autonomy to be creative, work entrepreneurially, and solve big, juicy problems.
Along with being part of a life-changing mission and a community of fantastic teammates, here’s what you can expect:
- We ensure that you are well-protected with life / disability insurances provided as standard to all employees.
- 28 days' paid time off.
- Flexibility to work in a state-of-the-art office, along with home office solutions.
- Fun team building offsite events at scenic countryside locations.
- Office kicker table for lunchtime games, free drinks and fruit, and opportunity to take part in regular team events.
ENGIE is an equal opportunity employer, promoting diversity and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all. All applications are screened based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without any regard to origin, age, name, sexual identity, orientation or preference, religion, marital status, health, disability, political opinions, union involvement or citizenship. Our differences are our strengths!