Job Title: Data Analyst
Department: Customer Finance
Reporting Line: Head of Data Analytics, Customer Finance
Location: Any EEA country of operation; this position involves occasional business travel to other EEA countries of operation as well as occasional travel for stakeholder workshops
Job Grade: 14
About ENGIE Energy Access
ENGIE Energy Access is one of the leading Pay-As-You-Go (PAYGo) and mini-grids solutions providers in Africa, with a mission to deliver affordable, reliable and sustainable energy solutions and life-changing services with exceptional customer experience. The company is a result of the integration of Fenix International, ENGIE Mobisol and ENGIE PowerCorner; and develops innovative, offgrid solar solutions for homes, public services and businesses, enabling customers and distribution partners access to clean, affordable energy. The PAYGo solar home systems are financed through affordable installments from $0.19 per day and the minigrids foster economic development by enabling electrical productive use and triggering business opportunities for entrepreneurs in rural communities. With over 1,700 employees, operations in nine countries across Africa (Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia), almost 1.5 million customers and over 7 million lives impacted so far, ENGIE Energy Access aims to remain the leading clean energy company, serving millions of customers across Africa by 2025.
- With EEA selling the lion share of its products on credit to hundreds of thousands of individual customers per annum, EEA’s Credit function plays a primary role in the success of the business. Within the confines of the EEA Group policy frameworks, the accountability for the commercial result rests with the operating entities. In this context, the global Customer Finance function provides pro-active, state-of-the-art support to EEA’s operating entities ranging from credit product design to workflow enhancement guidance, portfolio management tools, risk mitigation techniques, default projection and compliance views.
- Under guidance of the Head of Data Analytics (or, in absence of the Head of Data Analytics, under guidance of the Head of Customer Finance), our Data Analysts play a key role in advancing EEA’s credit function by supporting, directly or indirectly, decision makers within and beyond Customer Finance with real-time and right-sized data analysis and actionable recommendations to improve the credit function’s performance.
- Functionally, our Data Analysts are responsible for helping draw powerful insights for action from EEA’s unique, extensive, and rich data marts on customers, products and markets, and for driving improvements in EEA’s approach to data gathering, analytics, and visualizations. Analyses will be in support of credit operations, credit risk management, as well as for dashboards and processes of adjacent functions.
- Like all global Customer Finance staff, our Data Analysts are fully familiar with the steps and stages of EEA’s credit cycle, which encompasses customer vetting, underwriting, onboarding, portfolio monitoring, accounts and arrears management through to the repossession of collateral in case of customer default, and constantly strive to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the Customer Finance operations at EEA.
- Data Analysis: Conduct rigorous data analysis, modelling, and visualizations to inform decisions around customer finance workflow, operational strategy, credit risk appetite, sales and pricing strategies.
- Standard Reporting: Support and in some cases lead the development of standard and ad-hoc Customer Finance reporting needs by summarizing loan portfolio performance and country operational performance against key KPIs for audiences including but not limited to Country Teams, the Leadership Team, Industry Partners and Investors.
- Data Warehousing: Work closely with EEA’s Data Team to maintain and optimize data warehousing to support swift data analytics, modeling, and archiving across the Customer Finance function, including mining, cleaning, and validating data in preparation of analysis.
- Data Sourcing: Source data from various internal and external sources, interpret patterns and trends, and present findings in reports in an effort to enhance EEA’s understanding and visibility into customer performance.
- Internal Support: Support strategic planning, modelling, budgeting and forecasting related to EEA’s credit operations both on consolidated as well as on Country, Product or other granular level.
- Training: Provide training and coaching on methods, tools, and templates to Country Team members.
Knowledge and skills
- University degree in a relevant analytics subject e.g. statistics, finance, economics, mathematics, information management, data science, or computer science.
- Certification in a relevant topic (e.g. data analytics, risk management, programming) is a plus.
- 2+ years of professional experience in data analytics, financial analysis or a related field; work experience in Sub-Saharan Africa or in the off-grid energy sector is a plus.
- Keen eye for detail coupled with a high degree of professional curiosity and thoughtful investigation of data before relying upon it.
- High level of competency with analysis and interpretation of qualitative and quantitative data.
- Mature profile with commercial acumen and a can-do-attitude combining output orientation, number orientation, customer orientation and process orientation.
- Familiarity with typical income, expenditure and cash-flow patterns of rural and peri-urban households and micro enterprises that constitute the EEA customer base is a plus.
- French, Swahili or Portuguese is a plus.
- Familiarity with standard office software packages
- Ability to create dashboards and expert presentations in the chosen data visualization tool (Tableau).
- Ability to code or query in SQL; additional Python skills are a plus.
- Knowledge of statistics and experience using statistical packages for analyzing datasets (Excel, SPSS, SAS, STATA etc.) is a plus.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however due to the large volume of applications we receive, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ENGIE is an equal opportunity employer, promoting diversity and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all. All applications are screened based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without any regard to origin, age, name, sexual identity, orientation or preference, religion, marital status, health, disability, political opinions, union involvement or citizenship. Our differences are our strengths!