Job Title: Test and Validation Engineer
Department: Product and R&D
Reporting to: Head of Product and R&D
Location: Berlin, Germany or Kampala, Uganda.
Job Grade: 15
Application Deadline: 23rd August 2022
About ENGIE Energy Access
ENGIE Energy Access is one of the leading Pay-As-You-Go (PAYGo) and mini-grids solutions provider in Africa, with a mission to deliver affordable, reliable and sustainable energy solutions and life-changing services with exceptional customer experience. The company is a result of the integration of Fenix International, ENGIE Mobisol and ENGIE PowerCorner; and develops innovative, off-grid solar solutions for homes, public services and businesses, enabling customers and distribution partners access to clean, affordable energy. The PAYGo solar home systems are financed through affordable installments from $0.19 per day and the mini-grids foster economic development by enabling electrical productive use and triggering business opportunities for entrepreneurs in rural communities. With over 1,700 employees, operations in 9 countries across Africa (Benin, Cote d’Ivoire, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia), over 1.2 million customers and more than 6 million lives impacted so far, ENGIE Energy Access aims to remain the leading clean energy company, serving millions of customers across Africa by 2025.
The Product Performance Team is responsible for defining and delivering the product test/validation activities and for managing the post launch product performance. This will be achieved by working with the leaders of Product Management and Research & Development to define and manage the development processes, drive the test and validation activities, and to implement performance monitoring metrics (and corrective actions) for the product after launch. A critical part of the role will be to work with the Supply Chain organization to ensure an efficient New product Introduction (NPI) and handover to production.
Consequently, you will be part of a team of test, validation, and production support engineers to deliver and maintain best in class product performance for a range of solar powered consumer devices for the emerging markets. You will be responsible for helping to define, implement and deliver the test and validation activities underpinning all of our new product developments.
This role will be predominantly a hands-on engineering role and would suit a candidate who does not only posses the necessary technical background but is also willing to expand their skills in areas such as continuous integration, new product introduction.
- Helping drive the test and validation activities (including test plan generation and execution) across all in-house development activities
- Involved with regular reviews of all products in the field, define and assess KPI’s for product performance, and (with input from R&D and others) implement corrective actions to maintain optimum organizational value-add of the product
- Coordinate with both R&D and Supply Chain organization to manage the NPI transition
- Work with Product Management organization to continuously ensure optimum product/market fit
- Definition + development of in-country diagnostic tests that will be used in-country for analysis of non-conforming products
- Manufacturing test platform development (software/scripts/test jigs)
- Facilitate regular time resource planning meetings and ensure reliable planning quality
- Escalate relevant problems in the team towards the team lead and senior management
Knowledge and skills
Mandatory Experience :
- Minimum 5 years of consumer product development
- Experience in testing and validating hardware and firmware products, including Continuous Improvement techniques
- Familiar with supply chain and manufacturing organizations for NPI
- Experience of formal validation/verification methodologies for hardware/software
- Strong communication skills, with a can-do attitude
- Able to work with cross-functional teams in multiple time-zones
Desirable Experience :
- Familiar with the most common IEC testing standards in the solar off-grid sector
- Previous roles working with international teams/cultures
- Exposure to Product Management activities would be desirable
- BSc or greater in Engineering or similar technical discipline
- German and/or Mandarin is a plus
- Experience in consumer technical product development is required for the role
- Right to work in the relevant country (Germany or Uganda) is mandatory.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however due to the large volume of applications we receive, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ENGIE is an equal opportunity employer, promoting diversity and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all. All applications are screened based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without any regard to origin, age, name, sexual identity, orientation or preference, religion, marital status, health, disability, political opinions, union involvement or citizenship. Our differences are our strengths!