Job Title: Certified Accountant
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Application Deadline: 1st August 2022
Reporting To: CFO of ENGIE Equatorial
About Engie-Equatorial Ltd
Engie-Equatorial Ltd is providing sustainable, affordable and reliable energy services to rural populations in developing countries through smart mini-grids using digital solutions like mobile money and pay-as-you-go technologies.
Engie-Equatorial Ltd is looking for a dynamic and proactive Certified Accountant, passionate about thinking big, making things happen, and scaling up our fast-growing startup in new market in Sub-Saharan Africa. The candidate would have at least 5 years of experience in similar job position in an international company.
The Certified Accountant will play a key role to build up Engie-Equatorial Ltd financial capability to support business development & drive performance. This position is a unique leadership role that will report to Engie-Equatorial Ltd Chief Financial Officer.
- The Certified Accountant will work alongside the CFO to build finance capability and ability to achieve targets.
- The Certified Accountant will be responsible for maintenance of appropriate accounting records for efficient and timely reporting to the Management, Auditors and Authorities. He/she will be responsible for:
- Processing payments: requisitions/supporting documents/submission to CFO for approval + Initiating all in banking platform
- Preparation and follow-up of supplier payment
- Preparation of weekly cash position
- Posting of transactions in accounting tool (QuickBooks)
- Posting of VAT revenues in EFRIS platform
- Reconciliation on bank accounts (Mobile money bank account in USD and UGX)
- Reconciliation of main ledger, A/C payables and receivables, tax (VAT, WHT, PAYE, NSSF), inventory, assets & WIP
- Reconciliation of revenues in SalesForce and Mobile money
- Record and organization of all accounting supporting documents
- Calculation of amortization, depreciation
- Calculation of interests linked to loans
- Payroll compliance work
- He/She will manage the preparation of annual financial statements and their audit.
- He/she will identify trends in financial performance and provide analysis and recommendations for improvement in order to progress towards targets. In this frame, he/she will be in charge of:
- Preparation and presentation of monthly financial reports and Budget versus Actuals analysis (P&L, CFS, Balance sheet)
- Monthly and Quarterly reforecast exercises
- Annual budget management
- The Certified accountant will maintain Engie-Equatorial Ltd Chart of accounts.
- He/She will implement the financial manual and update it in line with the activity.
- He/She will maintain KPI list for each stream of activity and implement habit of performance follow-up within the team.
- Maintain banking relationships and monitor accounts.
- Make sure the entity is tax compliant in order to avoid dispute with tax authorities. Manage fiscal registration when needed (certificate of incentive when relevant) follow-up of withholding tax and transfer pricing policy. Prepare and file the Tax returns to the Revenue Authority (TRA) in consultation with the Tax Consultants
- Support all topics linked to withholding tax and transfer pricing policy.
- Set-up of appropriate internal control environment in line with group practice.
- Pursue implementation of core processes and provide documentation.
- Ensure entity is correctly funded in order to enable operation to be run smoothly and on plan.
- The Certified Accountant will communicate regularly and effectively to the Chief Financial Officer on financial performance, internal controls, cash positions and on any issue faced.
Required Skills & Experience
- ACCA Diploma in Financial Reporting and Certified Public Accountant.
- Passionate about local rural village economics
- Passionate about financial viability
- Very fluent in English
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Statistics, Economics, Business Administration or other related field.
- Advanced proficiency in accounting software tools (QuickBooks).
- Advanced quantitative analysis skills and proficiency in Excel and Power Point.
- Advanced analytical and quantitative reasoning ability
- Knowledge in economic & financial modelling is a plus.
- Ability to work independently with a high level of initiative and sense of urgency.
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and collaborative nature.
- A strong attention to detail.
- Understanding of rural markets, micro finance, mobile telecom and/or renewable energy industries in Africa.
- At least 5 years of work experience in an international multinational company or financial institution operating in Africa with complex transactions.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in proposing new ways of driving financial efficiencies.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however due to the large volume of applications we receive, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ENGIE is an equal opportunity employer, promoting diversity and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all. All applications are screened based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without any regard to origin, age, name, sexual identity, orientation or preference, religion, marital status, health, disability, political opinions, union involvement or citizenship. Our differences are our strengths!