Job Title: Global Head of Technology
Department: Technology (Digital and IT)
Reporting line: Chief Executive Officer
Location: Berlin, Germany; Kampala, Uganda (Or any EEA African market) 30% - 50% travel
About ENGIE Energy Access (EEA)
ENGIE Energy Access is one of the leading Pay-As-You-Go (PAYGo) and mini-grids solutions provider in Africa, with a mission to deliver affordable, reliable and sustainable energy solutions and life-changing services with exceptional customer experience. The company is a result of the integration of Fenix International, ENGIE Mobisol and ENGIE PowerCorner; and develops innovative, off-grid solar solutions for homes, public services and businesses, enabling customers and distribution partners access to clean, affordable energy. The PAYGo solar home systems are financed through affordable installments from $0.19 per day and the mini-grids foster economic development by enabling electrical productive use and triggering business opportunities for entrepreneurs in rural communities. With over 1,700 employees, operations in 9 countries across Africa (Benin, Cote d’Ivoire, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia), over 1.2 million customers and more than 6 million lives impacted so far, ENGIE Energy Access aims to remain the leading clean energy company, serving millions of customers across Africa by 2025.
The Global Head of Technology is a critical role in ENGIE Energy Access (EEA). This is an incredible opportunity for a deeply experienced, driven and talented individual to lead our high-performing technology team. This role has full responsibility for the technology department, which consists of Product and R&D as well as Digital and IT. The role will be part of the EEA Executive Leadership Team (ELT), reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, working closely with other Global Heads of Department and Country Directors.
- Provide exceptional and inspirational leadership and support to the Product and R&D and Digital and IT teams, creating a high-performing team and culture of innovation, accountability, efficiency, business impact and commercial mindset
- Extend the technical center of excellence in Europe and East Africa, building on an existing high performing team, to deliver new products and technologies, into new markets. Responsible for recruiting and retaining key skills necessary, as well as all elements of team career growth
- Set and manage the overarching strategic direction, priorities and focus areas for the Technology department, cascading and ensuring alignment throughout EEA, as well as providing strategic leadership across all disciplines as part of the EEA ELT.
- Oversee product strategy and management, including leading EEA’s overarching product strategy and product development process, leading the development of new products and managing the P&L for each existing hardware and digital product.
- Drive the hardware product development, including electronic engineering, mechanical engineering and firmware engineering, and manufacturing systems, validation and NPI activities
- Oversee software and data development and management, including strategy and planning, development roadmaps, software engineering and external partnerships
- Drive and foster IT- and Data security mindsets and practices across the organisation and the ELT. Ensure compliance with related ENGIE’s regulations and best practices.
- Manage the department’s work plan, budget and resources to ensure delivery of agreed goals, with full responsibility for recruitment, coaching and development
Product Strategy & Management
- Oversee the creation and realization of a competitive product strategy, including developing the 3-5 year product strategy and maintaining the product roadmap (aligned to the group strategy)
- Manage the P&L for the consolidated product portfolio across all markets, including developing and tracking standards and KPIs for measuring performance, guide the decision to create, keep, or remove products, as well as responsibility for the commercial viability and cost management of the product portfolio
- For new products, oversee the complete product development process across the lifecycle, from product strategy (e.g. market size, target segments, target price-points, key design components, etc.), business case and build vs buy decisions, then working with engineering, design, supply teams and partners to project manage and deliver the product to the agreed schedule, scope and cost
- Oversee the product management function, including setting product team KPIs, managing resources and driving best practices in product management
- Develop the overarching strategy, goals and priorities for product development, ensuring that technology strategy and product strategy align with the overall business mission and strategy and quality assurance
- Build and oversee a performance-driven product team across electronic , mechanical and firmware engineering, and manufacturing systems and testing
- Drive the design, manufacturing and testing of hardware product, ensuring delivery on time and according to the business requirements, guiding the team should technical challenges arise
- Foster a culture of hardware innovation, cost optimization and a rigorous commercial mindset in the product design and manufacturing
- Manage and support the in house technical support team, providing customer facing product and software support to a customer base across nine core countries
- Oversee a product performance team, ensuring implementation of strategies on sample testing and reliability tests, ensuring effective maintenance of test equipment, debugging failures, investigating quality issues, and making executive decisions around recommended changes
Digital (Software, Data & IT)
- Drive strategic thinking across the entire digital ecosystem within EEA and a culture of innovation, accountability, commercial mindset and business impact in the team
- Drive the company’s technology vision and lead all aspects of the company’s technological development, including partner selection and management
- Oversee software product and data development and management, including strategy and planning, development roadmaps, product management and external partnerships
- Work collaboratively with digital leadership to develop standards, processes and procedures for technology infrastructure and architecture
- Continually monitor changes and advancements in technology to identify key ways that EEA can gain a competitive advantage
- Cultivate external partnerships to enrich our internal software products and maintain focus on core functionality
- Develop and improve the internal IT and Data security framework and related policies
- Provide guidance and process alignment to the operating countries in regards to IT landscape, processes and best practices
- Lead and develop the decentralized IT-specialist network across the global team and the country IT teams.
- Balance the purchase of off-the-shelve digital solutions with in-house developments within a strategic digital framework reflecting long-term impact on delivery, flexibility and costs.
At EEA, we have high expectations for our managers. Each manager plays a key role in creating an exceptional experience not only for our customers but for every person on our team. Our managers help EEA realize our ambitious goals while developing their own leadership skills and facilitating growth for their direct reports.
We believe that great managers:
- Deliver ambitious results: As a high-performing and accountable leader, you create an enabling environment for effective action and bold decision which contribute to successful delivery of results.
- Act with integrity: As an ethical leader you are honest, respectful, objective, and transparent. You create and build upon a foundation of trust and openness.
- Inspire and mentor the team: As an inspirational leader you walk the talk. You empower and coach your team with trust and humility.
- Are accessible: as an accessible leader, you develop and maintain deep connections with stakeholders through approachability and active listening.
- Ensure diversity and inclusion: as an inclusive leader, you ensure diversity and foster a sense of belonging.
Experience, Knowledge & Skills
- 15+ years of relevant experience, ideally in similar Chief Technology Officer or Chief Product Officer roles, particularly in hardware / software engineering (consumer products preferred)
- Significant people leadership experience, leading and motivating large and diverse teams across countries and the ability to create a performance culture with strong governance, accountability and results. Experience in managing managers is key to the role
- Strong visioning, strategy, problem-solving and analytical skills, with the ability to set and communicate the strategic vision for technology throughout the organization
- In-depth knowledge and best practices on product engineering (e.g. battery technologies and power electronics), and digital (software engineering and application development, data infrastructure and management). Knowledge of supply chain organizations is an added advantage.
- Generally strong core business capabilities, with excellence in strategy, team management and planning, budgeting, project management, business case development, governance operations, data analytics and reporting
- English is mandatory, with German, Mandarin, French, Portuguese or Swahili a plus
We thank all applicants for their interest, however due to the large volume of applications we receive, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ENGIE is an equal opportunity employer, promoting diversity and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all. All applications are screened based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without any regard to origin, age, name, sexual identity, orientation or preference, religion, marital status, health, disability, political opinions, union involvement or citizenship. Our differences are our strengths!