Job Title: Mozambique Head of Commercial
Location: Maputo, Mozambique
Application Deadline: 7th May 2022
Reporting To: Country Managing Director
About ENGIE Energy Access
ENGIE Energy Access is one of the leading Pay-As-You-Go (PAYGo) and mini-grids solutions provider in Africa, with a mission to deliver affordable, reliable and sustainable energy solutions and life-changing services with exceptional customer experience. The company is a result of the integration of Fenix International, ENGIE Mobisol and ENGIE PowerCorner; and develops innovative, off-grid solar solutions for homes, public services and businesses, enabling customers and distribution partners access to clean, affordable energy. The PAYGo solar home systems are financed through affordable installments from $0.19 per day and the mini-grids foster economic development by enabling electrical productive use and triggering business opportunities for entrepreneurs in rural communities. With over 1,700 employees, operations in 9 countries across Africa (Benin, Cote d’Ivoire, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia), over 1.2 million customers and more than 6 million lives impacted so far, ENGIE Energy Access aims to remain the leading clean energy company, serving millions of customers across Africa by 2025.
ENGIE Energy Access (EEA) Moçambique is looking for a dynamic and entrepreneurial Head of Commercial to take on a unique leadership role in a rapidly growing company at the front lines of renewable energy and mobile payment technology. Candidates should expect a fast-paced startup culture, and will be expected to take ownership of a wide range of responsibilities to help develop EEA Moçambique into a mature business over the coming years.
The role will report to the Country Director and will work cross-functionally with our operations, customer experience, product development, operations, marketing, and technical teams on the ground to develop, scale and manage our footprint, increase quality sales velocity, and establish the best-in-class credit operation, to manage credit risk, and to provide an exceptional experience to our customers.
As Head of Commercial, you will be based in Maputo, Mozambique with regular travel to the field. You will manage a large and dispersed team of over 50 sales managers, 800 sales agents, Marketing manager and team, as well as the Customer Finance (Credit) team and create and execute on a strategy that can deliver strong sales results, increase brand awareness and trust and that directly influence customers’ repayment behavior, their positive experience with EEA Moçambique, and their ongoing loyalty to the brand—all crucial to the success of the business and in increasing access to financing for BOP consumers. And you will have responsibility for the overall management of credit risk at EEA Moçambique.
Responsible for Sales | Customer Finance | Marketing
- Acquire new customers and increase repeat sales for our most creditworthy existing customer.
- Continuously refine and iterate on our national sales strategy that aims to reach hundreds of thousands of customers in need of MySol by 2025, both by acquiring new customers and increasing repeat sales to existing customers
- Goal, target, and incentive setting: Use a strong grounding in our data to ensure that the team has clear, inspiring, and ambitious goals and targets, paired with incentives to drive motivation; in order to support growth in key areas including quality of service and efficiency
- Manage a group of highly motivated teams and individuals to collaborate on achieving growth, revenue, and portfolio quality targets.
- Develop effective and scalable systems and oversee execution by effectively delegating and giving ownership to a strong team of high-performers below you.
- Customer Finance Strategy, Analytics & Innovation
- Lead development of the cross-functional Customer Finance Strategy, Customer Finance Performance Management Dashboard and action plans
- Consolidate quantitative and qualitative inputs from our customers and other sources to fully understand the repayment performance of our customers.
- Design and implement A/B tests to identify the most powerful ways we can improve customer repayment behavior
- Structure and implement customer insight research projects, such as mapping the financial lives of households, to deepen our understanding of what drives repayment behaviors and use the data insight from the above to scale any that are effective in improving customer repayment patterns
- Credit Risk Monitoring & Management
- Monitor, assess, and anticipate credit risk across the portfolio, and proactively and sustainably manage credit risk exposure in line with EEA’s strategy and targets.
- Lead the Credit Risk Committee and ensure credit risk is accurately reported, and adequately provisioned.
- Provide leadership to the teams that drive sales and customer repayment
- Uphold and help continually build the EEA culture which always embraces EEA’s vision and values and always puts the customer’s experience first
- Build upon, support, and provide exceptional leadership to the existing sales, marketing, and customer repayment teams including sales managers, analysts, customer repayment field staff, and thousands of freelance sales agents, including testing and setting compensation, targets, and incentive structures
- Oversee the recruitment, training and ongoing management of sales, marketing, and customer repayment teams
- Support team development by performing regular reviews and trainings, retaining high performing team members, and finding creative ways to boost low performing sales team members
- Global cross-pollination
- Collaborate with other EEA market teams & EEA Global team to leverage best practices from EEA Moçambique, implement best practices from the EEA network and brainstorm solutions to common challenges.
At EEA, we have high expectations for our managers. Each manager plays a key role in creating an exceptional experience not only for our customers but for every person on our team. Our managers help EEA realize our ambitious goals while developing their own leadership skills and facilitating growth for their direct reports.
We believe that great managers:
- Deliver ambitious results: As a high-performing and accountable leader, you create an enabling environment for effective action and bold decision which contribute to successful delivery of results.
- Act with integrity: As an ethical leader you are honest, respectful, objective, and transparent. You create and build upon a foundation of trust and openness.
- Inspire and mentor the team: As an inspirational leader you walk the talk. You empower and coach your team with trust and humility.
- Are accessible: as an accessible leader, you develop and maintain deep connections with stakeholders through approachability and active listening.
- Ensure diversity and inclusion: as an inclusive leader, you ensure diversity and foster a sense of belonging.
Knowledge and skills
- 10 years minimum work experience, at least 5 of which was in a role which involved business strategy development and people management,
- 2 to 3 years minimum work experience in related areas or sectors such as microfinance, digital financial services, project management, data analysis, or field team management, with proven track record of generating and converting opportunities into commercial contracts
- Knowledge and Experience in Sales Management, and Management of customers, partners and supply chain relationships
- Experience with business analytics and data-driven decision-making and nimbly adjust strategy, make difficult decisions that often require tradeoffs, balanced with no bias to action.
- Experience working with and implementing projects through commission-based field staff in an emerging market
- Experience in design thinking (a.k.a. human-centered design)
- Data Systems and Analysis: strong experience with Tableau/Power BI/data visualization software is a huge plus.
- Demonstrated ability to manage large teams, especially in a high-growth and performance-driven environment
- Solid understanding of credit risk and consumer lending
- Articulate with excellent rapport and team building skills
- Degree in Business Administration, Management, Renewable Energy or any related field (required)
- Master’s degree in a related field (desired)
- English (fluent)
- Portuguese (fluent)
- Local languages (is an advantage)
- Advanced quantitative analysis skills and proficiency in MS Excel and PowerPoint/One Drive Tools
- High level of comfort working with data, with the ability to translate analysis to insights, and insights to action
We thank all applicants for their interest, however due to the large volume of applications we receive, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ENGIE is an equal opportunity employer, promoting diversity and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all. All applications are screened based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without any regard to origin, age, name, sexual identity, orientation or preference, religion, marital status, health, disability, political opinions, union involvement or citizenship. Our differences are our strengths!