Legal & Compliance Officer
Head of Human Resources
About ENGIE Energy Access
ENGIE Energy Access is one of the leading Pay-As-You-Go (PAYGo) and mini-grids solutions provider in Africa, with a mission to deliver affordable, reliable and sustainable energy solutions and life-changing services with exceptional customer experience. The company is a result of the integration of Fenix International, ENGIE Mobisol and ENGIE PowerCorner; and develops innovative, off-grid solar solutions for homes, public services and businesses, enabling customers and distribution partners access to clean, affordable energy. The PAYGo solar home systems are financed through affordable installments from $0.19 per day and the mini-grids foster economic development by enabling electrical productive use and triggering business opportunities for entrepreneurs in rural communities. With over 1,700 employees, operations in 9 countries across Africa (Benin, Cote d’Ivoire, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia), over 1.2 million customers and more than 6 million lives impacted so far, ENGIE Energy Access aims to remain the leading clean energy company, serving millions of customers across Africa by 2025.
ENGIE Energy Access Mozambique has a mission to electrify hundreds of thousands of households in Mozambique over the next ten years. To help us achieve this mission, the Legal & Compliance Officer under close supervision of Human Resources Director will be responsible for upholding impeccable ethical standards and a zero tolerance policy to corruption within our organisation, and to also ensure that the company adheres to legal standards and in-house policies. S/he is also responsible for enforcing regulations in all aspects, at all levels, as well as responsible for providing guidance on all compliance matters.
- Implement and improve HR labour practices in relation to the existing legislation governing labour relations in Mozambique;
- Ensure that all new employees (permanent and temporary) are compliant with labour law and internal regulations, before their first day of employment;
- Conducting background checks on prospective employees and verify information;
- Managing and overseeing the disciplinary policy as well as grievance policy and procedure interpretation and understanding and investigate a variety of employee relations related issues to ensure that effective legal compliant resolutions are done in a timely manner;
- Continuously educate and train all employees on Ethics & Compliance-based content, and Coach line managers and business partners on employee relations best practice to reduce number of Employee Relations issues;
- Manage Leave, Allowances and benefits entitlement, and ensure effective communication and engagement through relevant stakeholder is done of any changes to HR policies manual to all staff;
- Coordinate employees’ termination process, including exit interviews;
- Conduct HR Audit (working hours, attendance, leave management, recruitment process, airtime entitlement, etc) on quarterly basis and make follow up to all HR findings as highlighted during the audits;
- Accurate report submission to Head of Human Resources by set deadlines;
- Ensure that HR correspondences are of very high standards and obey the set standard;
- Ensure adherence and governance to local laws and EEA policies/procedures in place; develop and document inexistent standard processes and procedures;
- Elaborate Contracts with third parties as requested by issued by different Departments;
- Create repository of Company’s processes and procedures, in coordination with other Departments, and maintain the file updated;
- Offer legal advice when required;
- Perform other related tasks when required.
Knowledge and Skills
Experience & Skills:
- At least 5 years experience working in Legal, Compliance or in HR (Employee Relations or/ and HR Compliance);
- A qualified lawyer (an advocate) would be an added advantage
- Strong sense of urgency and time management abilities
- Very high level of integrity and confidentiality
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skill
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with the Senior Management and board of Directors.
- Above average oral and written communication skills.
- Exceptional understanding of the Labour Laws in Mozambique
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Demonstration of High level of confidentiality.
- Degree in Law
- Specialization in Employee Relations (advantage)
- Portuguese (fluent)
- English (fluent)
- Microsoft Office 365 (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, One Drive, Sharepoint, Teams) Internet.