Job Title: Uganda Regional Portfolio Manager
Department: Uganda Commercial Team
Reporting line: Commercial Performance Manager
Location: Kampala, Uganda
About ENGIE Energy Access
ENGIE Energy Access is one of the leading Pay-As-You-Go (PAYGo) and mini-grids solutions provider in Africa, with a mission to deliver affordable, reliable and sustainable energy solutions and life-changing services with exceptional customer experience. The company is a result of the integration of Fenix International, ENGIE Mobisol and ENGIE PowerCorner; and develops innovative, off-grid solar solutions for homes, public services and businesses, enabling customers and distribution partners access to clean, affordable energy. The PAYGo solar home systems are financed through affordable installments from $0.19 per day and the mini-grids foster economic development by enabling electrical productive use and triggering business opportunities for entrepreneurs in rural communities. With over 1,700 employees, operations in 9 countries across Africa (Benin, Cote d’Ivoire, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia), over 1.2 million customers and more than 6 million lives impacted so far, ENGIE Energy Access aims to remain the leading clean energy company, serving millions of customers across Africa by 2025.
Note: We are currently building a pipeline for this role and we look forward to filling it in the near future. We will keep reviewing CVs as they come however we might not reach out to you immediately. We therefore ask for your understanding. Thank you.
The Regional Portfolio Manager will be responsible for growing and managing a healthy customer portfolio in their region, by hitting sales targets, enforcing good customer relationship management and hitting loan recovery targets.
This crucial position has many important operational responsibilities, including: motivating and monitoring the performance of your Sales Team and Loan Recovery Team; directly managing and coaching a Sales Manager and Loan Recovery Officer; investigating any issues affecting the
repayment rates in your region e.g. fraud; managing stakeholder relationships within your region; and bridging the information gap between the field and HQ, with the overall aim to deliver commercial excellence and overall business growth.
The role will report to the Uganda Commercial Performance Manager and they will work closely with our field development, marketing and customer finance teams. The Regional Portfolio Manager will also share best practices with teams in other regions as we work to improve commercial operations across Uganda.
Team Performance Management
- Manage, maintain and communicate strategic goals to a highly productive Regional Commercial Team including the Sales Manager, Loan Recovery Officer and 100s of commission-based agents.
- Hold weekly strategic meetings with the Sales Manager and Loan Recovery Officer to review their past week’s performance, set goals and consult them on actions to take to work towards those goals.
- Provide direct reports with learning & development opportunities and mentoring using 360 reviews, performance improvement plans, 2x2x2s etc.
- Constantly monitor performance dashboards to stay informed about sales rates, kit mix, active agents, repayment rates, home visit resolutions, stock levels, stock loss, and fraud in your region and follow up with teams negatively impacting your region.
- Keep the wider team motivated through regular visits, stand-up meetings, trainings, phone calls and creative team promotions.
- Preach a culture of quality across your region, promoting ENGIE values as well as responsible lending, customer education and follow ups for customers who fall behind on their loan.
Grow and manage a healthy Regional Portfolio
- Ensure your region maintains a healthy portfolio, with most customers trending towards completion – and quickly investigate on the ground and react with a change in strategy when customer repayment falls below acceptable levels.
- Ensure your region grows its portfolio size at a steady rate, by hitting quality sales targets and enforcing best practices around onboarding, customer experience, brand visibility and activations.
- Execute specific sales strategies in the trade for various kit types e.g. high-end and upgrades, to increase your average revenue per sale and customer lifetime value.
- Ensure your region cleans up its share of poor-paying customers by hitting resolution targets (bouncing overdue customers back and repossessing from those who no longer have the capability or willingness to pay).
- Investigate and escalate fraud issues in your region and ensure they are handled swiftly.
Stakeholder management (e.g. Head Office, dealers, officials)
- Build and nurture strong relationships with stakeholders in your region i.e. Dealer staff, Local Council Chairpersons, Local Police personnel and other District officials.
- Manage relationships with landlords and municipal councils for smooth POS operations.
- Engage local NGOs and community groups to seek bulk sale opportunities.
- Bridge the gap between the commercial field team and HQ to raise any issues affecting them.
- Identify business risks within your region, update management and advise on solutions.
- Provide updates on competitors and their activities through weekly reports.
At EEA, we have high expectations for our managers. Each manager plays a key role in creating an exceptional experience not only for our customers but for every person on our team. Our managers help EEA realize our ambitious goals while developing their own leadership skills and facilitating growth for their direct reports.
We believe that great managers:
- Deliver ambitious results: As a high-performing and accountable leader, you create an enabling environment for effective action and bold decision which contribute to successful delivery of results.
- Act with integrity: As an ethical leader you are honest, respectful, objective, and transparent. You create and build upon a foundation of trust and openness.
- Inspire and mentor the team: As an inspirational leader you walk the talk. You empower and coach your team with trust and humility.
- Are accessible: as an accessible leader, you develop and maintain deep connections with stakeholders through approachability and active listening.
- Ensure diversity and inclusion: as an inclusive leader, you ensure diversity and foster a sense of belonging.
Knowledge and skills
- 2+ years of B2C commercial experience (sales, customer relationship management) at the last mile.
- Leadership experience: someone who has led large, dispersed teams with multiple layers of management.
- Proven understanding of what keeps dispersed teams and commission-based agents motivated and focused on specific activities.
- Able to work and remain motivated with minimal supervision, problem-solve with autonomy.
- Proven past success hitting targets: able to breakdown targets into actions and smaller targets for individuals to successfully deliver their contribution within agreed timelines.
- Performance Management: proven experience managing the performance of teams and individuals, celebrating and maintaining high performers and finding creative ways for low performers to improve, commanding respect from the team and exercising assertiveness when necessary.
- Data Driven, with experience using existing data to make decisions about where to allocate your time and attention.
- A proven team player and cross-department collaborator, who is also an independent thinker.
- Demonstrated passion for our mission, values and customers.
- Commitment to live and work within your region for at least 2 years.
BA degree required, MA degree a plus.
Have a valid driving permit.
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English.
- Additional local languages are a plus, not required.
- Microsoft Office proficiency (word/excel/ppt/slides)
- Data systems: experience with Tableau/Power BI/data visualization software is a plus.
ENGIE is an equal opportunity employer, promoting diversity and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all. All applications are screened based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without any regard to origin, age, name, sexual identity, orientation or preference, religion, marital status, health, disability, political opinions, union involvement or citizenship. Our differences are our strengths!