The Windows System Engineer is directly responsible for designing and supporting the Microsoft infrastructure. This position is focused on production systems and enterprise application delivery. This role will primarily work with a cross-functional team of software engineers, product & project management, database administers, IT peers and key business users with a focus on designing, building and deploying highly available, robust, resilient and maintainable solutions to support Corporate and Platform Services. With a focus on the infrastructure and operational elements of designing and deploying a service, examples could include ensuring services are highly available, have sufficient infrastructure capacity in place and are fully resilient across multiple data centers.
Under the direction of the IT Systems Manager, the successful candidate will:
• Manage production and non-production workloads hosted in local and remote datacenters, offices around the globe, and in the cloud
• Build robust Microsoft environments hosted locally and in remote facilities
• Assist in the management of Active Directory, identify opportunities to innovate, extend, and enhance those architectures.
• Ability to support other authentication services such as LDAP, Kerberos, SAML and OAuth
• Automate standard processes for deploying servers and applications on premise in physical and virtual infrastructures.
• Recommend and execute modifications to Windows systems in order to improve security, efficiency, reliability, and performance
• Participate in strategic projects such as AD integration, MS Exchange integration, etc.
• Manage backup and recovery systems (Netbackup, Data Domain, Tape Autoloader)
• Serve as the first line of escalation support for operating system & hardware issues that cannot be resolved by Tier 1 and 2 support analysts.
• Identify and deploy system patches and vulnerability remediations as needed
• Experience with standard monitoring practices and tools to monitor non-production and production systems, respond to and troubleshoot incidents as required
• Participate in a 24x7 on-call rotation.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE: Experienced systems engineer with 3-5 years of system administration experience in a Hybrid Cloud environment. Solid understanding of Windows Server 2008, 2012, and 2016 operating systems Experience with Microsoft Azure, VMWare, and On-premise Hybrid/Hyper-Converged infrastructures. Expert-level knowledge of Active Directory, including Group Policy creation and management. Experience with automated monitoring systems and technologies. Some knowledge of Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager and automated patching procedures. Demonstrate familiarity with routing and switching concepts, TCP/IP, IP subnetting, DNS and DHCP. Understanding of IT security principals including usage and implementation of end-point security applications, firewalls, IDS/IPS, SEIM and security best practices. Experience with Backup and Recovery software products.
• Bachelor’s degree or 3-5 years hands-on experience
• Ability to collaborate with resources across multiple disciplines
• Ability to design and document complex workflows
• Ability to handle multiple projects and tasks simultaneously
• Methodical approach to troubleshooting and problem resolution
• Strong proficiency in managing AD, LDAP, ADFS, DNS, DHCP, SMTP, SFTP
• Familiarity with a hybrid on-premise and O365 Exchange environment
• Experience with Amazon Web Services (EC2, S3) a plus
• Experience scripting in PowerShell, Python, or other scripting languages
• Experience with VMware vSphere and other cloud and virtualization management technologies
• Well-rounded knowledge of networking (LAN, WAN, MPLS, VLAN, routing, firewalls, etc.)
• Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
• Flexibility in concepts and actions, ability to deliver on mission critical deadlines
• Excellent team player - proven ability to resolve problems professionally and systematically
• Other duties as assigned