A Sr Systems Engineer at Endurance fills the mission‐critical role of ensuring that our complex, web‐scale systems are healthy, monitored, automated, and designed to scale.
At Endurance, we build the web. Our products range from Web hosting, VPS, Dedicated servers, Security, Backups, Cloud, Optimized CMS’s, Ecommerce and complex scale‐as‐you‐grow solutions. Our company’s world‐class family of brands includes Bigrock, Resellerclub, LogicBoxes, Bluehost, HostGator, iPage, Domain.com, A Small Orange, MOJO Marketplace among others.
As a Sr Systems Engineer in the Technical Operations team, you will work with a team of talented systems engineers, software engineers, system administrators, database administrators, network operations and other tech teams to engineer great products, deliver five 9's uptime, and build reliable systems, tools and automated processes.
Our teams are small, yet incredibly impactful. We're highly-motivated, engaged, and empowered to make a difference. We're looking for talented engineers with a strong operational background and a penchant for solving complex technical problems. Does this sound like you?
- Design, engineer, deploy and operate world‐class, highly available, scalable & reliable products in the IaaS, SaaS, PaaS space
- Serve as a primary point responsible for the overall health, performance, and capacity of one or more of our services.
- Learn new technology & practices ‐ devote time for learning and continuous improvement of self and team.
- Provide great customer service, respond to escalations and build self‐serving tools/methods for customers and support teams.
- Build automated tools to facilitate rapid issue resolution and deployment of new features and changes.
- Imbibe and maintain a strong customer service oriented attitude while designing and building products
- Automation for monitoring, deployment and delivery
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience. Or 5 years or more of related experience and/or training.
- Proven experience and expertise in Linux & subsystems (memory, storage, network etc) and its fundamentals. CentOS or RedHat Server distributions preferred.
- Networking Fundamentals : DNS, TCP/UDP, IP Routing, HA & Load Balancing Concepts.
- Advanced Programming/Scripting Skills (Python, Ruby, Java, Go, Shell)
- Good broad based troubleshooting skills.
- Networking experience including packet decoding, layer 2 switching basics, and a basic understanding of the OSI model
- Experience in Puppet/Chef configuration and management.
- Expert knowledge of monitoring and reporting systems.
- Troubleshooting hardware (Servers, Consoles, Switches, and Routers).
- Previous experience working with geographically-distributed coworkers.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills (including listening, speaking, and writing) and ability to work well in a diverse, team-focused environment with other Engineers.
- Knowledgeable in virtualization, docker, public clouds, relational and non relational databases, web architectures, filesystems, queueing systems, config management, regular expressions, and container orchestration (KVM, Puppet, Ansible, LVM Storage, OpenShift, RPM Packing and Package Management, Katello/Satellite).
- Experience in rolling out new systems, maintaining, upgrading, replacing and improving long-term performance of the systems at scale.
- Deep understanding of best practices for server level management and security.
- Identifies and designs system and platform best practices.
- Resolves design flaws in architecture as they appear.
- Focuses on scaling and high availability solutions.
- Past experience with PCI & SOX compliance activities is an advantage.