REPORTS TO DIRECTOR OF HW ENGINEERING
WHO WE ARE
Emerge is empowering people to build more meaningful bonds across distance and time by bringing touch and emotion to extended reality experiences.
We are creating a new standard for shared digital experiences that enable real connections to who and what matters to you. Our first step towards this vision is touch, with a product that allows users to feel, interact, and share XR content with their bare hands.
Founded in 2015 and originally sponsored by Google and NASA in Silicon Valley, Emerge is backed by M13 (Ring, Snap, Lyft), Vulcan Capital (late Paul Allen’s fund, Microsoft co-founder), and other value added investors.
We are proud of our impact-focused and diverse team. We are former entrepreneurs and leaders in tech that have brought several products to market in the field of consumer electronics and XR, and are passionate about mental and social wellness. We have a broad network that includes the World Economic Forum, and MIT Innovator Under 35 and Forbes 30 Under 30 communities. We are also fortunate to work with an inspiring group of advisors including Anousheh Ansari (world’s first female private astronaut and CEO at XPRIZE), James Costos (former US Ambassador) and Brenda Freeman (former CMO at Magic Leap and National Geographic).
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join the Emerge engineering team and help own and extend core components of our platform. You will be developing and productizing the native control subsystem which integrates our Android OS based hardware into popular 3D engines such as Unity. In addition you will extend or customize the Android OS (and Linux) based on prioritized use cases and requirements.
You will work closely within a cross functional team to enable the consumer platform that will allow for the next level of presence within immersive computing. You must be passionate about disruptive technologies, breaking boundaries, making science fiction real, and willing to be part of the next breakthrough in human communication.
WHO YOU ARE
- Customization and integration of the Android OS on hardware. Demonstrated development of services leveraging the Android NDK to bridge native code and device drivers with Java APIs
- Demonstrated experience with Linux for ARM based systems - understand how to customize and enhance the kernel (build/configure the kernel & drivers, tuning power management, performance, etc.)
- Prior experience having developed and deployed high-performance native code (C/C++) for consumer hardware devices
- Prior experience with mathematics libraries and understanding how to develop and partition code modules for efficiency
- Be a self-starter, driven and demonstrated ability to work in a small team environment
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to communicate with non-technical users
- Understanding of Python (initial project will be a migration to Android & C/C++, so helpful but not required)
- Experience with FPGAs and interfacing of these components with hardware and software
- Experience developing device drivers (and related – code signing, packaging)
- Experience with communications (networking) and real-time data acquisition within the context of native applications
- Experience with WiFi/Bluetooth, UDP/TCP, SPI/I2C technologies
- Remote to start with ability to work in Los Angeles once our office in Marina del Rey, CA, reopens
Please attach demo reel, GitHub or similar, and/or give us any details about your previous work.
If you don't meet all these requirements, but you think you'd thrive at this role, please let us know!
Stock options and competitive salary based on experience | Health, vision, and dental insurance | Life insurance | Health Savings Account | 401(k) plan | Open PTO policy | Career development and training
**Emerge is an equal opportunity employer. Emerge recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law. We believe, in order to succeed as a company, Emerge must be a place where a diverse mix of talented people want to do their best work. In hiring, we seek out new and unique voices, and uphold a workplace environment of inclusivity. Diversity is more than a commitment at Emerge - it is the foundation of what we do.