Design Within Reach is looking for an Assistant Product Developer to join our Product Development team. This role will be based in Stamford, CT.
As an Assistant Product Developer, you'll lead the product development process across a subset of product categories. You'll utilize strong project management skills by building and maintaining project schedules, monitoring potential delays, and working with cross-functional teams to ensure new products are commercialized on-time and within budget. You will manage multiple programs simultaneously and ensure each program's adherence to our design and quality standards.
- Assist the product development team to meet project milestones and seasonal deliverables
- Support PD administrative tasks: organize and file all documentation, track samples, create and maintain internal libraries/databases, construct outreach to vendor base and work on special assignments as needed
- Facilitate prototyping; Coordinate and track prototype movement requests
- Organize prototypes and storage with sample warehouse, assist with prototype assembly
- Troubleshoot roadblocks to on-time prototype delivery, ensure samples are properly labeled
- Support Product Developers in creating Test Request Forms and submitting products and documentation to third-party test labs
- Track status of product and transit testing with third-party test labs
- Organize and track new designer setup forms and design agreements
- Conduct in-depth review of prototypes to ensure products meet or exceed all standards for: build quality, ease of assembly, packaging, comfort, value, etc.
- Collaborate with Supply Chain/Sourcing and Product Compliance to ensure all regulatory, sustainability, and performance documentation are obtained from the suppliers.
- Facilitate all performance and packaging testing.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams in Supply Chain/Sourcing to award programs to suppliers and establish the most effective value stream/supply chain.
- Create quality criteria for all new programs and maintain/develop Quality Assurance Protocol with Suppliers.
- Communicate key issues (i.e., schedules, resource constraints, launch plans) in a clear and timely manner to Merchandising and PD leadership.
- Participate in weekly meetings with cross-functional teams to share progress on new developments and conduct prototype/design reviews.
- Performs additional responsibilities as requested to achieve business objectives.
- Bachelor's Degree required (Industrial Design preferred)
- 2-4 years of experience in a development-related function (furniture industry preferred)
- Experience with new product commercialization, including full development and launch cycle.
- 3D CAD (Solidworks, Fusion 360) and Adobe Creative Suite skills (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign).
- Willingness to travel globally.
- Knowledge of furniture construction and furniture market landscape.
- Luxury/high end experience preferred.
- Excellent program/project management skills, as demonstrated through the successful achievement of assigned objectives.
- Ability to prioritize projects and handle multiple tasks, managing time effectively to meet deadlines
- A developmental, entrepreneurial mind set with abstract analysis skills and a logical, but flexible approach.
- Willingness to take initiative and accept accountability with a strong sense of ownership over your work.
- A high level of personal integrity and business ethics.
- Strong written/verbal communication skills and the ability to present complex concepts in a concise and understandable way to a variety of audiences.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, particularly communicating with team members across cultures and functions.
- The ability to perform all essential job functions of the position with or without accommodations.
At Design Within Reach, home comes first. We believe in creating and sourcing pieces that move with you and are meant to be enjoyed over a lifetime – from home to home, generation to generation. For us, that means exceptionally crafted, built-to-last, and beautifully designed furnishings.