Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education and employment. Almost a decade later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of about 200 distributed through North America and headquartered in SoHo, NYC. We’ve raised over $87.5m in venture capital funding from top investors including Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Owl Ventures, Union Square Ventures, Y Combinator, and more.
If you want to help build a business that empowers tens of millions of people to lead better lives, join us!
The Chief of Staff will report to the CEO and serve an instrumental role in helping Codecademy and its CEO achieve their goals. This role has a broad remit for a self-starter and natural problem solver who is an expert in organizational dynamics and is at ease in ambiguity. Successful candidates will meld their EQ, humility, business acumen, and structured strategic thinking to provide leverage to the CEO and executive team in order to grow the business. This job’s working habits mirror those of the CEO: you should expect to feel like an owner in the business and work closely with the CEO, oftentimes off-hours if required. We are excited to add to our excellent team with this strategic hire.
What You’ll Do:
Team Alignment: work across the executive team and the CEO’s direct reports to ensure exemplary organizational communication and coordination. On a practical basis, this means running:
- Management team meetings and strategic offsites
- Prep for board meetings and other meetings
- Follow-ups arising from the CEO’s meetings
- Team-wide communication about critical company decisions
- Work closely with CEO and CEO’s EA to prioritize, focus and prepare CEO for internal and external meetings, as well as helping with communications within the team.
- Help the CEO hold the leadership team and direct reports accountable for commitments.
What you will need:
- Strong Communication: much of this role will be communicating across teams and executives. Candidates should communicate in a crisp, structured manner in both written and verbal communications as a representative of the CEO. Candidates should be comfortable communicating with slides if necessary as well.
- Deep Analytical Acumen: prior experience in banking, consulting, or a similarly rigorous analytical role is required. Candidates should be comfortable modeling with financial data and analysis.
- Thrives in Ambiguity: candidates should be self-starters who are consistently re-evaluating their own responsibilities and reprioritizing based on their assessment of what the company needs most.
- Strategic Systems Thinking: executing on strategy will require an informed strategic perspective informed by experience.
- Detail Orientation with a Commitment to Follow-Through: candidates should own projects end-to-end and be responsible for all follow-through.
- Impeccable People Skills, including Management and Hiring Experience: candidates have ideally managed and built teams of high performers previously.
- Low Ego and High EQ: no job should be too small, nor any problem too big to work through, particularly through collaboration with the team
- Experience at growth stage tech companies (Series D or later)
What will make you stand out:
- Experience in Consulting, Banking, or Entrepreneurial settings
- Total 5+ years of experience
- Prior experience as a Chief of Staff
- A background in Computer Science
- An MBA or equivalent degree
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of learners with our product and in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- and works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds and beliefs are empowered to better their futures.