Title: Senior Experience Planner/Service Designer
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Lab: Experience and Insight Lab
Location: San Francisco, CA
Consumer-led innovation teams have been established in different divisions and regions across the world and are at the forefront of innovation and new value creation within Samsung Electronics. These teams aim at realizing the vision of Samsung Electronics for a new age in technology: the Age of Experience. The Age of Experience will be defined by personalized technology that meets the needs of the consumers.
The Experience & Insight Lab (E&I Lab) is housed within Samsung Research, the advanced Research and Development (R&D) hub of Samsung Electronics’ SET (End-products) Business which includes Consumer Electronics (CE) Division and IT & Mobile Communications (IM) Division. This R&D hub leads the development of future technologies. The E&I Lab is a worldwide entity comprising a global team headquartered in Korea and local teams, including a team based at Samsung Research America in California.
The role of the E&I Lab is to design new service concepts that can harness the R&D capabilities of Samsung Research via a “Consumer-led” approach, starting with consumer values, behaviors and aspirations. Ultimately, the E&I Lab will incubate new services that provide customers with innovative new experiences and create future business opportunities for Samsung Electronics over the next few years.
The role of Senior Experience planner / service designer is to generate compelling user insights and innovation from consumer research and to create comprehensive human-centered experience roadmaps. Their strengths are to understand complex systems and connect the dots among products and services.
Main tasks are to observe customers experience across all touch points; identify behaviors, problems and unmet needs, then create a framework to design high level solutions (ID, UX, services, tech) across all touch points. They will support business decisions and design directions across a number of Samsung’s key business and existing product portfolio as well as future products.
Experience planner deeply understands ID, UX and services, and create solutions that are both physical and digital, and create services strategies.
- Be user-centric, with a research driven mindset for discovery, design and planning
- Have keen understanding of service design and design strategy
- Have keen understanding of market trends, technology trends and user experience trends
- Have keen understanding of end-to-end product life cycles, business model design, market analysis, financial modeling, and implementation in order to drive strategic growth
- Have deep understanding of data and how to collect, use, and analyze them to develop business solutions and strategies
- Create solutions based on the deep understanding of people and their behaviors
- Perform user research always together with another designer to make sure we are asking the right questions in order to get the right answers
- Design the User Journey Map so we can identify pain points and issues that need to be addressed in a given service
- Plan and execute co-creation workshops with stakeholders in order to propose the most viable solution for a given problem.
- Use the available resources to prototype services in order to validate ideas and iterate on it
- Design the Service Blueprint and prepare it to be presented and delivered to the client
- Strong understanding of design thinking
- Bachelor’s degree majoring in Design, HCI, Product Management, Engineering, Business Administration, or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Master’s degree is a strong plus.
- Strong understanding of design principles and experience design best practices and their applications
- 5+ years’ experience in product engineering or consulting roles
- Ability to create compelling service and product solutions
- Drive platform research and experimentation, concept exploration, prototyping, and ideation within the creative process for designing user experiences in software and services delivered through modern web technologies
- Ability and willingness to support wider UX work (beyond interaction design) as needed
- Ability to distill complex concepts into simple stories to build cross-functional empathy
- Understanding on S/W development process
- Ability to develop basic working prototype to present ideal UX concept a plus
- Planning Front-end / user side interaction to manipulate core features
Tools and Essential Soft Skills
- Experience and tools for interaction frame works, task flow, Information architecture and other design-related S/W (Sketching, Protopie, Figma, Framer, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc)
- Excellent hands-on for creating presentation with market analysis competitive research skills
- Global lifestyle research experience with strong socio cultural trend knowledge
- Ability to participate as an active member in creative workshops and ideation sessions
- Hands-on approach, flexible attitude and are comfortable experimenting with new ways of working
- Willing to work in a flat organization where hierarchy is not overtly felt
- Ability to manage an individual in terms of mentorship and career path
- Ability to retain relationships with our internal stakeholders.
- The creation and maintenance of productive relationships with both the team and the business through the identification of strategic aims and areas to grow
- Track record of developing new techniques and processes to audit technologies
- Ideally experience of the consumer electronics market but this is not mandatory
- Also desirable to have project and agency management experience
Samsung is committed to encouraging a diverse workplace and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As we highly value diversity in our current and future employees, we do not discriminate (including in our hiring and promotion practices) based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
We will consider qualified applicants for employment with arrest and conviction records.