At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
Lyft is seeking a Senior Director to oversee our three core areas of our business: the end-to-end driver experience, enterprise and mapping. This person will help to define the vision for the future of transportation, while leading and growing the teams designing product and features across all major touchpoints. They will provide direction and guidance of their team’s output, as well as partner with cross-functional partners and the executive team to drive strategy. This person will propagate a strong design practice, define a vision, influence product, and business strategy, and drive quality. Design directors also provide design mentorship and are a champion for both craft and career development, as well as create the operational space and organizational cover to help their team focus on executing their best work.
99% of the Lyft experience takes place in the real world and it’s critical you know how think beyond the pixel. As a qualified candidate, you have both an incredible eye for detail, and an ability to think big to break new ground. You can inspire a team and drive action. You have experience leading teams designing for online and offline. Your work demonstrates clear wins for the user while delivering meaningful business impact.
You must be a proven leader, an excellent communicator, and a cross-functional, cross-organizational team player that can thrive in a very fast-paced, dynamic working environment. You are comfortable working closely with passionate designers, product managers, engineers, scientists, marketers, and executives that care deeply about creating beautiful, high-impact products.
We’re intent on changing the world by delivering exceptional products that make transportation easy, safe and joyful, while giving fulfilling opportunities to drivers. We do this through passion, dedication and tight collaboration across disciplines.
In this role you will oversee Design in 3 Key Areas:
Driver Experience - From growth to loyalty, this organization defines the end-to-end driver experience. You will help shape the vision and strategy and oversee the execution of products impacting millions of gig-workers in the USA. You will build tools that shape behavior and increase value for drivers while balancing the needs of riders, business, and cities.
Mapping - This organization is shaping the future of travel through best in class technology in mapping. You will oversee the creation of map and routing products that enable safe, efficient, and joyful travel across all modes of ground transportation.
Lyft Business - As one of Lyft’s preeminent growth pillars, Lyft Business is breaking new ground in deliveries, healthcare, and hospitality. You will help define the vision and strategy for the growth of the vertical while overseeing the execution of transportation products serving: our partners, patients, business travelers, and even guests at Disney World.
- Lead, mentor, and inspire a multi-disciplinary team of 25+ including product designers, researchers, writers, and program managers. You will manage the product designers directly with design managers and senior IC leaders reporting to you.
- Push the boundaries of your team’s execution. Foster creativity to explore divergent concepts and create a trajectory for the company
- Influence product strategy and lead your team in executing design work with a high level of polish that exceeds user needs and business goals.
- Build relationships with cross-functional team members and executives across organizations. You will navigate dependencies, align on priorities, and shape goals while representing the user and what’s best for the community
- Understand how to solve highly complex and ambiguous product challenges across all digital platforms: iOS, Android, web, and email
- Know how to lead and represent your team internally and externally effectively, substantiate the work and the decisions behind them, and be an advocate for user-centered design
- Build relationships with cross-functional team members and executives across organizations, and effectively speak to process, design goals, and team vision
- Step-change productivity and accelerate team efficiency by improving processes and workflows with the design team and cross-functional teams
- 15+ years of applied product design management experience with a track record of delivering high-quality user experiences
- Strong systems thinking; ability to understand complex feature and marketplace dynamics
- Experience leading design teams through successful product launches across iOS, Android, and mobile web
- Experience building new products, breaking new ground, setting strategy, and driving execution
- Experience recruiting and hiring top talent, as well as cultivating talent and growing diverse teams
- Highly compelling communicator with the ability to inspire, build alignment and drive action
- Ability to work well in an ego-free, highly collaborative, and fast-paced startup environment
- Experience scaling organizations, growing talent, acting on performance issues, and managing change in ambiguity
- Table stakes: devotion to quality craft, exquisite taste, superb attention to detail, and mastery in design methods and tools
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.