About the team
At Harry’s, we care deeply about our people and make investments to build a culture where people can grow and develop and an environment where people feel a sense of belonging. Given the importance of our people, our People team is highly respected by the business. This function reports directly to the CEO and sits on the Enterprise Leadership team. The People team partners closely with leaders on a strategic level as they build their teams, as well as support them day-to-day.
Today, Harry’s is a team of over 1,000 people with ~500 people across the US, UK and Canada with another ~500 in our factory in Eisfeld, Germany. We currently have five brands in our portfolio (Harry’s, Flamingo, Cat Person, Headquarters, Lumē) and are actively looking to grow our family of disruptive omnichannel CPG brands through additional M&A. The People team is ~35 people across 3 countries (US, UK and Germany).
About the role
As Chief People Officer you will be responsible for setting the vision and strategy for the culture of the Harry’s team and the impact we have on our community. At Harry’s, our mission is to “Create things people like more”, with “people” referring to our customers, our employees and our community. In this role, you would be responsible for owning the strategy for how we want to create things our employees and our communities like more.
You will lead and manage the global People team, inclusive of People Operations, People Business Partners, Recruiting and Workplace Experience as well as the Impact functions, inclusive of Social Impact, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Sustainability. This is a unique opportunity to play a pivotal role in defining our people and impact strategy during a time of significant growth and exciting change. Harry’s has big plans for 2023 and beyond, including additional acquisitions and becoming a public company!
What you will accomplish
- Lay out inspiring and clear vision for the people, culture and impact and communicate that vision across the company, ensuring the People team and leadership understands how their work contributes to the vision
- Set the philosophy for how we approach People initiatives (e.g. reviews, promotions or compensation), getting buy-in from leaders and teams ● Coach our CEOs and leaders on their trickiest people issues, leveraging strong instincts on how to approach complicated situations and conversations ● Reinforce and amplify Harry’s culture internally and externally through specific initiatives, programs, events and external press and speaking opportunities ● Prepare Harry’s to become a public company, putting in the right process and systems to ensure compliance, including running our People and Compensation Committee with the Board of Directors
- Define and evolve our operating model and organizational structure as our business continues to grow, in particular as we acquire more brands in different categories
- Support the integration process for acquired brands, helping define the philosophy and approach to ensure we enable those brands to continue to operate autonomously while selectively leveraging Harry’s capabilities
- Establish an Impact function at Harry’s, building on our current strength in Social Impact and DEI and adding capability around Sustainability, to drive real impact on our team and in our communities
- Set and achieve ambitious diversity, equity and inclusion goals across recruiting, training and development, building on our current momentum ● Manage and run a high performing and diverse team that consistently has high engagement scores, high retention and clear growth paths
This should describe you
- Strategic business leader who deeply understands how Harry’s business works and can balance and advocate for what is best for business and people
- Experienced leadership influencer who builds strong relationships across the business and with cross-functional partner
- DEI champion who thinks about diversity, equity and inclusion in all that they do, embedding it in programs and work
- Highly accountable doer with a strong bias for action
- People centric leader who invests in knowing and understanding the Harry’s team and advocates for what people need in a balanced way
- Honest and direct communicator who can synthesize tough feedback and messages in a clear and digestible way
- Exceptional coach and mentor who loves to teach and grow talent.
- Creative thinker who wants to innovate and push Harry’s to lead on People and Impact
- Lifelong learner who applies a growth mindset to themselves all everyone around them
Here's who you'll work with
- Reporting to Harry’s CEO, Andy Katz-Mayfield
- You will be part of the Enterprise leadership team, which consists of 8 C-suite members of our team
- Managing the People functions (People Operations, People Business Partners, Recruiting and Workplace Experience) and Impact functions (Social Impact, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Sustainability) for US and International
- You will play a strong coordination and mentoring role with the HR team in our factory in Germany
- You will be onboarded by the current Chief People Officer, Katie Childers, who will continue to support you and the business in a part-time capacity (reporting to you)
- You will work closely with our leadership teams from our CEOs and C-suite to Directors across the entire business
- You will interact regularly with our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Council, a group of ~12 people from across the business who meets on a biweekly basis
We can’t quantify all of the intangible things we think you’ll love about working at Harry’s, like the exciting challenges we tackle, the smart and humble team you’ll get to work with, and our supportive and inclusive culture. That said, our salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size and industry, and are one part of our total rewards package, which also includes a comprehensive set of benefits and our compelling incentive programs. The base salary hiring range for this position is $300,000-$375,000, but the final compensation offer will ultimately be based on the candidate’s location, skill level and experience and will include our incentive programs, including equity.