Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing and retirement solutions for retail investors and investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small and medium-sized businesses. Our team is passionate about our mission: making people’s lives better. We’re headquartered in NYC, and offer hybrid NY-based (three days/ week in-office) and select, non-NY-based remote positions.
About the role
You are eager to join a dynamic Compliance team at an innovative (FinTech) registered investment adviser and broker-dealer. You have experience supporting a cryptocurrency offering and, ideally, have anti-money laundering program experience. You thrive in an environment with efficient organization, tracking, and project management. You are intellectually curious, don’t take answers at face value, and always want to know the “why”. You have strong communication and collaboration skills, attention to detail and accuracy, a desire to iterate and build because you refuse to do things just “because that’s the way they have always been done”. You won’t accept less than a well oiled machine. You are ready to roll up your sleeves and get to work in the most exciting work environment there is!
This role is based out of our NYC office. Below we've reflected the base salary range we would offer for this position. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Betterment’s total compensation package for employees.
- New York City: $130,000 - $150,000
We offer a competitive equity package, health, dental and vision benefits, and a 401(k) offering with employer match as well as flexible PTO policy. This job is eligible for variable compensation in the form of a discretionary company incentive bonus.
A day in the life
- Oversee the application of the Betterment Compliance program to the upcoming Betterment cryptocurrency offering.
- Provide guidance and advice on the application of laws, rules and regulations to cryptocurrencies.
- Manage the Betterment AML program on behalf of Compliance, conduct investigations into suspicious activity, and ensure appropriate regulatory reporting
- Manage and develop policies, procedures, compliance testing and training
- Monitor cryptocurrency and AML-related updates and regulatory guidance that may impact our businesses
- Help ensure that appropriate regulatory policies, procedures and controls are established, maintained and documented
- And so much more!
What we’re looking for
- Compliance-related experience supporting and overseeing a cryptocurrency offering (ideally through a broker-dealer or investments adviser)
- Thorough knowledge of FINRA and SEC rules and regulations governing broker-dealers, as well as AML laws, rules and regulations
- An avid interest in cryptocurrencies and the evolving cryptocurrency regulatory landscape
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to exercise sound and balanced judgment
- Works well across various business units and develop strong partnerships
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Desire to learn and have an impact quickly
- Able to read, analyze and interpret general business and technical procedures or governmental regulations.
What being at Betterment means for you
We change lives
Join a community of innovators working to transform financial outcomes for real people. Your work will make an impact, always laddering up to our mission: making people's lives better.
We set audacious goals
We set them for the company, our customers, and ourselves—and we won’t stop until we reach them. We don’t just show up; we give our all, then celebrate our wins.
We value all perspectives
When we collaborate, we're at our best. We believe diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes and strive to uphold our supportive and inclusive community.
We invest in you with:
- A competitive suite of benefits, including: medical, dental, and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; STD and LTD benefits, including infertility support and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits; and generous parental leave.
- Flexible paid time off (and encouragement to use it!)
- Meaningful opportunity for community building through our 6 Employee Resource Groups
- Empowerment to own and lead change and affect the business
- Dedicated professional development opportunities
- Complimentary financial advice from our team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERS™️
- Lunch from our in-house chef three days a week at our NYC headquarters
What happens next
We’ll take a few weeks to review all applications. If we’d like to spend more time with you, we’ll reach out to arrange next steps, which will include 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues.
In the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our questions will be aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. Depending on the role, we may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, as we want to collect a robust set of data points to better inform our decisions.
On average, it takes us around 3-5 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 2-3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision. Please note that, as we usually receive an overwhelming number of applications for open positions, we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you considering Betterment as the next step in your career, and our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process!
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates upon request. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to your recruiter or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.