Complex Networks is a subsidiary of BuzzFeed, Inc.
Complex Networks is a global youth entertainment network spanning major pop culture categories including streetwear and style, food, music, sneakers and sports. Complex Networks is diversified around three pillars: advertising, e-commerce, and content where it creates and distributes original programming for Gen Z and Millennial audiences through premium distributors such as Netflix, Hulu, Turner, Corus, Facebook, Snap, YouTube, Roku and more. Additionally, Complex Networks generates revenue through a number of core business lines, including branded content and advertising, licensing, events, e-commerce, and agency consulting services.
Complex is seeking a News Editor to join our editorial team. Reporting directly to the News Director, the News Editor will assign, edit, and publish stories for the Complex editorial news team. The ideal candidate is someone who has experience in daily news coverage, as well as understands the Complex brand and audience. This is a freelance position, with a schedule of Monday-Thursday daytime shifts, and Sunday evening shifts.
- Assign, edit, and publish news stories that meet Complex’s editorial standards from a qualitative and brand standpoint
- Work closely with News Director to increase quality, efficiency, and performance of news stories
- Communicate with news writers to ensure they are properly drafting write-ups that highlight the main elements of the story
- Collaborate with Social team to maximize reach of news coverage through social media platforms
- Write news stories when necessary, as well as update news stories when appropriate
- Write daily video scripts for news stories to increase engagement
- 2 years of editing and 4+ years of writing and reporting experience at a publisher or website
- A newshound approach to tracking down news stories using a wide range of resources
- Sound editorial judgment and a deep knowledge of the Complex brand
- Exemplary written and communication skills
- The ability to work under pressure and hit deadlines while maintaining quality work
- A strong understanding of SEO best practices and experience working in a CMS
- A positive and winning attitude working with a team, and can also work independently with little to no supervision
About BuzzFeed, Inc.
BuzzFeed, Inc. is the world's leading tech-powered, diversified media company that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally through its cross-platform news and entertainment network. The company produces articles, lists, quizzes, videos, and original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News and HuffPost; an industry-leading affiliate business, strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Commerce; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
Life at BuzzFeed, Inc.
We celebrate inclusion and are committed to equal opportunity employment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
You can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
We want all employees to feel safe and comfortable when they engage in any in-person meetings, when visiting the office, or when working from an offsite production or meeting location. As part of this commitment to health and safety, BuzzFeed requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees. Requests for accommodation per applicable law for health and/or religious reasons will be considered. Union employees are subject to what is outlined in their applicable collective bargaining agreement.
Note: BuzzFeed, Inc. offers remote/flexible work (unless specified to be required to be in-person) and open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, MI, MS, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, and WV. For non sales roles, we can also hire in AK, AR, AZ, ID, KS, MO, ND, SC, and VT.