About BuzzFeed, Inc.
BuzzFeed, Inc. (Ticker: BZFD) is home to the best of the internet. Across food, news, pop culture and commerce, our brands drive conversation and inspire what audiences watch, read, buy, and obsess over next. Born on the internet in 2006, BuzzFeed, Inc. is committed to making it better: providing trusted, quality, brand-safe news and entertainment to hundreds of millions of people; making content on the internet more inclusive, empathetic, and creative; and inspiring our audience to live better lives. We'll continue to recruit the best founders and creators to join us in this mission, with more additions like Complex Networks and HuffPost to come.
The Data & Analytics team focuses on collecting data, curating data, and discovering insight to grow and engage with BuzzFeed’s audiences. The team is data-driven and results-focused. We are seeking a talented Data Governance Lead who thrives at the intersection of data, creativity, and business.
The Data Governance Lead will be responsible for ensuring the accuracy and completeness of data across our organization. They will work with teams to establish and document data quality standards, create and maintain data quality control processes, and monitor data for compliance with standards. The Data Governance Lead will also be responsible for communicating data quality issues and resolutions to stakeholders. The ideal candidate will have strong SQL skills, and be able to effectively communicate with stakeholders of all levels.
You have a strong technical and analytical background with a disciplined approach to data quality. You are dedicated to ensuring ethical and thoughtful data decisions are made. Opportunity to learn and become a thought leader in data quality, playing a core role in defining quality strategy at BuzzFeed, Inc. This position is full-time as part of the Data & Analytics team with members in Los Angeles, New York, and remote. Our team is remote first with optional in-person offices in New York and Los Angeles
- Validating the integrity, accuracy, and quality of data used for analysis
- Setting up alert systems and procedures to ensure data quality issues are communicated and addressed
- Proactively identifying and advocating for opportunities where data quality could be improved
- Updating Materialized Views and reporting tools, like Looker, to improve data quality
- Creating and maintaining documentation about our data and data quality practices
- 2+ years of experience with SQL querying and analyzing data
- 1+ years of experience designing data quality test plans and testing strategy
- Ability to process, model, and analyze large data sets
- Detail oriented, organized, and meticulous problem solver
- Strong communication skills
- Advanced SQL, experience using Materialized Views, Advanced Joins, Partitioning, Window Functions, etc.
- Experience with Looker/LookML development
- Experience with Git/Version Control
- Experience with BigQuery
- Experience with Python, R, or other scripting languages
Life at BuzzFeed, Inc.
We celebrate inclusion and are committed to equal opportunity employment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
You can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options.
- A generous benefits program featuring paid time off, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
We want all employees to feel safe and comfortable when they engage in any in-person meetings, when visiting the office, or when working from an offsite production or meeting location. As part of this commitment to health and safety, BuzzFeed requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees. Requests for accommodation per applicable law for health and/or religious reasons will be considered. Union employees are subject to what is outlined in their applicable collective bargaining agreement.
Note: BuzzFeed, Inc. offers remote/flexible work (unless specified to be required to be in-person) and open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, MI, MS, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, and WV. For non sales roles, we can also hire in AK, AR, AZ, ID, KS, MO, ND, SC, and VT.