Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
Planet is constantly working on next generation systems and space platforms and we are seeking a satellite communications engineer with a focus on digital communications and signal processing. Working on a world-class engineering team, you will take responsibility for defining, architecting and implementing modulation and coding schemes for various radios. You will collaborate with cross functional teams to implement software defined radios on CPU/GPU/FPGA platforms and getting them flight ready, validating and testing them in the lab, as well as ensuring they perform on orbit and on Planet’s Ground Stations. You will work closely with systems engineering, missions, and manufacturing teams to ensure mission success. Simply put, you will build the space systems of tomorrow.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Architect Planet’s digital communication schemes for our next generation satellites
- Implement, verify and validate software defined radios on appropriate platforms (CPU/GPU/FPGAs)
- Lead design efforts for the validation of the end-to-end design of the satellite communications systems
What You Bring:
- Strong experience with DSP and digital communication theory and implementation, including digital modulation, synchronization, error correction, etc.
- Experience with software defined radios, in particular with GNU radio and linux development tools
- Experience defining and measuring radio performance metrics such as SNR, BER, PER, and constellation visualization in real time
- MS in Electrical/Computer Science or similar work experience. Ph.D preferred.
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience with Matlab, Simulink and DSP development tools.
- Experience in Linux, Python, and data analysis
- Experience in RF system design, testing, and troubleshooting
- Experience with HDL development tools (Verilog, VHDL)
- Excited by working in an agile, fast-paced environment, even in times of uncertainty and ambiguity.
- Experience with spacecraft system design, and general EE design is a plus.
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.