Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet that scales fast, survives anything, and thrives anywhere. We created CockroachDB to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications!
About the Role
Our Enterprise Architects help customers fully utilize the technical benefits of CockroachDB. We believe that in order for an Enterprise Architect to be successful, they must understand every part of the database, including modern and legacy deployment tools and systems, both on premise and in the cloud, the surrounding infrastructure stack, and produce reusable artifacts that demonstrate strengths and disseminate the information, while balancing both reactive and proactive activities. The location for this role is flexible but the person will be focusing on customers in the eastern timezone.
- Own the expert technical guidance and assistance with our customers during their planning, design, testing, migration, and implementation efforts as they modernize both their legacy SQL applications and new, next generation applications
- Utilize your deep technical skills to provide measurable value to customers and drive sales growth
- Educate customers on the unique capabilities of CockroachDB and design solutions to meet a wide variety of challenges
- Drive adoption and implementation of Cockroach Labs tools/features by leading requirements and design sessions, migration analysis and strategy, performance analysis and tuning, hands-on product and technical workshop sessions
- Execute on the solution deployment - deploy clusters, migrate customers, administer users, etc.
- Have Database Admin/Operations experience:
- working with users and troubleshooting basic day-to-day issues
- deploying monitoring and alerting, and ensuring DRIs (Directly Responsible Individuals) are alerted to issues
- responsible for coordinating with customers on projects and deliverables
- Keep a complex system running and solve problems relating to mission-critical services
- Design, implement, operate, and troubleshoot the automation and monitoring of production clusters to maximize performance and availability
- Drive disaster recovery tests, turning down pieces of CockroachDB to test its overall resilience to failures
- Participate in an on-call rotation for production systems
- Need to learn new technologies constantly and quickly to keep pace with customer environments
- As a member of the Revenue organization, you will partner with members of the Sales and Customer Success teams in driving new business opportunities and expanding adoption in existing customer organizations
- Develop and implement best practices, processes and tools which can continually enhance Cockroach Labs’s Customer Success Program
In your first 30 days, you will learn about CockroachDB and figure out where the product would be a good fit for certain use cases. During this time, we also believe it’s important for you to establish internal relationships across sales, product, and engineering to effectively be able to navigate resources to help you in your efforts with customers.
After 60 days, you will be leading customer efforts, including design, testing, learning refactoring opportunities, migration strategies and considerations, implementation methods, and executing on solution deployment. As you continue to grow in the role, you will be moving into owning best practices and industry solutions, developing reusable artifacts supporting the organization's growth and intellectual property. The artifacts creation and re-use are key to help both pre and post sales activities.
- 3-5+ years of overall relevant experience
- Strong experience writing, developing and presenting technical content for external audiences
- A mix of skills that can include an in-depth knowledge of databases, distributed systems, public cloud systems, containers and VM, orchestration tools, linux systems for benchmarking, and modern enterprise software architecture
- Technical knowledge of enterprise applications, platforms, and data ecosystem, with ability to go deep on technical aspects to understand current and future customer needs and present CRDB technical benefits
- Experience in designing and building cloud-based deployment infrastructures. Focus will be database-centric, although the database is only one component of the tech stack. This person must be able to work within the customer environment to understand their current stacks and be able to design solutions to meet the needs of CRDB on customer infrastructure. They should be familiar with various infrastructure stacks and technologies (bare metal, cloud, VM, containers, orchestration), network, security, etc.
- Experience as a skilled database administrator
- Expertise in analyzing, monitoring, and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- Experience in shell programming and scripting (i.e., Bash). Software development using one or more of the following: Go, C, C++, Python, Java is a plus
- Proficiency working with algorithms, data structures, and production troubleshooting
- Expertise in working with major cloud providers (AWS, Azure, GCP, etc.) and Cloud APIs
- Debugged and optimized code to automate routine tasks
- Experience building collaborative relationships with your colleagues. You enjoy being part of the code review process and partnering with your teammates on challenging problems
- 1-3+ years of experience as an Enterprise Architect with a proven success record
- 1-3+ years of experience as an Engineer architecting a modern enterprise software application, such as Domain Driven Design and Event based architectures
- A degree in Computer Science or other technical major
- 100% health insurance option (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Learning and Development budget
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at email@example.com.