Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
The Verification and Validation Test Team is responsible for creating and maintaining the tests and infrastructure for our new satellite development programs. Test Engineers on our team tackle projects to design and build integrated software and hardware platforms that allow us to validate our spacecraft performance and verify our requirements. As a member of the Verification and Validation Test Team, you will collaborate with design and software engineers to develop everything from board-level tests to fully integrated HIL setups that enable the demonstration of spacecraft performance and operation.
As a Systems Test Engineer you will own the build, integration, and testing of fully integrated satellite HIL (Hardware-in-the-Loop) platforms that will enable the demonstration of satellite functions on-orbit. You will be responsible for everything from test planning, execution, integration, debugging, and everything in-between to enable end-to-end testing of our ground and space systems. This will involve working with a broad variety of disciplines, including our top-notch design, qualification, and manufacturing teams.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Coordinate cross-functionally across all teams and disciplines to capture test goals and objectives for each development kit and HIL setup
- Write test plans and reports for the testbeds and manage tracking of requirements met through test and demonstrated performance capabilities
- Work with test engineers and designers to come up with ways to connect, package, and mount various test setups
- Write documentation and assist in fabricating test or flight-like harnessing to allow for the integration of HIL testbeds
- Execute tests that help develop prototype hardware for flight and troubleshoot issues as they arise
- Write test scripts and programs for executing tests on individual boards as you build out and integrate the HIL setup for the avionics, payload, and power systems
- Assist with test development by helping write test scripts, procedures, work instructions, or anything else necessary to execute the various levels of testing
- Design and execute tests for design verification testing including environmental tests
What You Bring:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Aerospace, Electrical, Mechanical or similar engineering discipline
- 5-7+ years of integrated systems testing experience including complex system level HIL setups
- Hands-on experience integrating hardware, loading software, and interfacing with integrated testbeds
- Mechanical design and CAD experience with Solidworks, CATIA, or similar
- Experience and knowledge of data-acquisition systems, sensors, and other test equipment such as oscilloscopes, multimeters, etc.
- Comfortable reading schematics and design documentation to understand how each piece integrates and fits together
- Programming experience, with willingness to code in Python
- Strong Linux fundamentals
- Familiarity with environmental testing such as thermal, vibration, shock, etc.
- Experience with DVCS such as git or mercurial
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience working in ambiguity on prototype hardware and figuring out how to make things work for the first time
- A blend of mechanical, electrical, and software experience that allow you to drive meaningful conversations and implement solutions across all design groups
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to investigate and diagnose issue during HIL testbed integration and test
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.