Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
As a Lead for the Orbits R&D team, you will lead a small team of dedicated engineers responsible for the Flight Dynamics and Mission Planning on Planet’s fleet of satellites. The Flight Dynamics disciplines of this team include constellation design, orbit determination, maneuver design and execution (with propulsion and differential-drag), and conjunction assessment & mitigation. Mission Planning is concerned with the scheduling of imaging and contacts for Planet’s Dove and SkySat constellations. The large operations research problem has a direct impact on fulfilling the business needs in an automated manner of the world’s largest heterogenous constellation of Earth Observation satellites.
You will be responsible for leading a highly-motivated, autonomous, and resourceful team to solve complex problems like:
- Onboard state estimation and maneuver planning for low altitude, low thrust spacecraft
- Distributed, "real-time" scheduling systems for the world's largest constellation of high resolution Earth Observation satellites
- Shared-resource optimization for multi-mission heterogeneous constellations
You will help with design, iteration and implementation of such systems, performing first principles technical analysis and developing systems to support the mission critical responsibilities of the team. Our team interfaces across a variety of problems, systems and organizations (external and internal). You will work across organizations to align on company objectives, create quarterly goals for the team and provide support to meet those goals. Over time, you will gain an excellent understanding of a breadth of complex systems, and will contribute to strategy and future innovations at Planet.
What You Bring:
- Advanced degree in Aerospace Engineering, or related technical field
- 4+ years of experience solving problems in space related industries
- Strong background in astrodynamics / orbital mechanics
- Experience in solving large-scale optimization problems
- Experience working in cross-functional teams (systems, product, strategy etc.), leading design and development of internal tools/systems to achieve high-level objectives
- Ability to context switch across multiple projects and systems
- Strong programming background in Python/C++
- Proficient with software engineering tools and processes (version control, code review, regression testing, debuggers, Jenkins, JIRA, agile)
What Makes You Stand Out:
- PhD in Aerospace Engineering with 3+ years, or 6+ years of industry experience
- Experience mentoring juniors into thriving engineers
- Ability to communicate complex ideas/information to a wide audience (technical engineers, internal stakeholders, executives and external customers)
- Experience leading small, high-functioning teams across multiple disciplines
- Knowledge of State Estimation and Uncertainty Quantification
- Experience with Geomatics or Meteorology/Cloud forecasting/modeling
- A strong understanding of attitude determination and control systems
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.