Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
We aim to empower teams at Planet to effectively deploy and operate their services. We offer expertise and guidance throughout the delivery lifecycle: building containers, authoring Kubernetes manifests, managing secrets, conducting zero-downtime upgrades, configuring routing, managing costs, and having the observability they need throughout. We also manage the fleet of Kubernetes clusters at Planet, as well as a suite of cross-cutting, shared services such as our API Gateway (through which all customer traffic flows), our shared event/message bus, and GitOps deployment tooling.
We operate as a distributed team that practices open and transparent communication with extensive use of modern remote-work practices.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Managing our fleet of Kubernetes clusters and continuing to orchestrate smooth updates, staying on top of new community developments, and upcoming deprecations
- Improving cluster resource utilization and managing costs by informing and assisting service-owners in strategies for maximizing utilization without sacrificing stability
- Participating in an on-call rotation with our other team members
- Authoring technical design documents and architectural decision records
- Authoring runbooks, configuring dashboards, automating alerts, and finding strategies to automate away pain
What You Bring:
Here's a collection of some of the skills we value. Don't be discouraged if your strengths lie in particular areas more than others: that's what a team is for!
- You have experience operating Kubernetes clusters at scale for high-traffic services
- You have experience with GCP or other cloud providers, including experience with terraform or similar technologies such as Cloud Formation
- You have experience writing tools in Python and/or Golang
- You've embraced and practiced principles around the 12-factor app and four golden signals
- You're excited about working with a distributed team and are well versed in various synchronous (Slack), asynchronous (E-mail, Jira tickets), and collaborative (Google Docs) systems
- You have a high degree of empathy for your colleagues and an ability to remain composed under pressure
What Makes You Stand Out:
- You have familiarity with tools such as jsonnet, kustomize, helm, flux
- You have experience using monitoring tools such as Prometheus
- You've managed networking of a high traffic (thousands to tens of thousands reqs/sec) service using technologies like nginx, Envoy, or HAProxy
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Additional company winter holidays and regular global days off
- Remote friendly work environment and flexible working hours
- Contribution to our growth by offering equity options for employees
- Giving back to the community - one day per quarter for charitable work
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Regular hack-weeks and meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Home office budget
- Employee Resource Groups providing safe and empowering spaces for connection and mentorship
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.