Who we are
At CarGurus (NASDAQ: CARG), our mission is to give people the power to reach their destination. It all started in 2006 when Langley Steinert—Tripadvisor’s cofounder—gathered a small team of developers to help bring trust and transparency to car shopping. Since then, our history of innovation and go-to-market acceleration has driven industry-leading growth. In fact, we’re the largest and fastest-growing automotive marketplace, and we’ve been profitable for over 15 years.
What we do
The market is evolving, and we are too, moving the entire automotive journey online and guiding our customers through every step. That includes everything from the sale of an old car to the financing, purchase, and delivery of a new one. Today, tens of millions of consumers visit CarGurus.com each month, and ~30,000 dealerships use our products. But they're not the only ones who love CarGurus—our employees do, too. We have a people-first culture that fosters kindness, collaboration, and innovation, and empowers our Gurus with tools to fuel their career growth. Disrupting a trillion-dollar industry requires fresh and diverse perspectives. Come join us for the ride!
The Digital Retail team at CarGurus is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to lead exciting projects in the automotive space and help mentor others. As a member of this group, your team will play a huge part in helping transform the way people buy cars by enabling a full online retail experience and building the most innovative online car purchasing platform available.
This is a very exciting time for CarGurus and is a huge opportunity for you to be a part of something truly amazing. Our startup DNA means we particularly value diverse set of backgrounds and perspectives. Come help build the next phase of CarGurus!
What you'll do
- Manage a team of talented engineers while providing technical leadership and mentorship to the broader team
- Collaborate with fellow engineers, designers, product managers and data analysts to take an idea from concept to technical design to implementation to testing to measurement
- Take generic tasks and break them into small, self-contained tasks. Accurately estimate and prioritize units of work and drive the incremental release of moderately sized projects
- Roll up your sleeves and pitch in wherever there will be the greatest impact. This could be anything from implementing a new full consumer facing feature, to integrating with a key partner or technology, to a quick vapor or A/B test to help determine what’s next.
- Be deeply engaged in the full development lifecycle designing, developing, testing, deploying, maintaining, monitoring, and improving software
- Work with partner companies to define requirements to integrate their solutions with our platform
- Advocate for new technology and new methodologies
- Continuously learn and expand your capabilities
- Have Fun!
What you'll bring
- 10+ years of relevant work experience needed with 3+ years in a lead/manager role
- Customer and product focused mentality with demonstrated experience leading efforts delivering new features
- Experience in management, technical leadership and mentoring engineers with their technical and career growth
- Strong project management skills, experience with Agile methodologies a plus
- Expert in OOP (Java preferred), ideally in fast paced environments
- Solid experience in the data layer including SQL, caching strategies, and storage alternatives
- Ability to iterate and ship ideas quickly, with loose direction
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- Curious and plays well with others
Working at CarGurus
We reward our Gurus’ curiosity and passion with best-in-class benefits and compensation, including equity for all employees, both when they start and as they continue to grow with us. Our career development and corporate giving programs, as well as our employee resource groups (ERGs) and communities, help people build connections while making an impact in personally meaningful ways. A flexible hybrid model and robust time off policies encourage work-life balance and individual well-being. Thoughtful perks like daily free lunch, a new car discount, meditation and fitness apps, commuting cost coverage, and more help our people create space for what matters most in their personal and professional lives.
We welcome all
CarGurus strives to be a place to which people can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—starting with our hiring process. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation. We foster an inclusive environment that values people for their skills, experiences, and unique perspectives. That’s why we hope you’ll apply even if you don’t check every box listed in the job description. We want to know what only you can bring to CarGurus.
US employees must provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation. #LI-Hybrid