Do you ever wonder what happens inside the cloud?
Headquartered in New York but based around the world, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.
We want people who are passionate about building features that you and your peers will love.
DigitalOcean’s Storage Team is a remote team that builds and operates cloud-scale distributed storage powering internal and customer-facing services and products. We’re creating flexible and powerful solutions that our customers will leverage to ship their software as quickly, easily, and safely as possible.
The Storage Platforms Team focuses on supporting the operations of all Storage teams by providing commodity platforms that unify technology solutions and consolidate and simplify the operational context required to support storage products. This team is responsible for the operations and development of data, messaging, and automation platforms used by DigitalOcean storage products, solving problems of scale and locality for datapath applications.
We are looking for an Engineer who will work on a small team to develop and support current and future storage platforms. This role reports to the Engineering Manager of the Storage Platforms team. This position is currently only available remotely.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Developing commodity platforms to solve complex problems for storage products
- Supporting the operations and management of distributed systems
- Collaborating with an agile, self-motivated team of peers to design and develop feature rich, and operationally sustainable software solutions
- Consuming from and contributing to free/open source software communities
- Solving interesting problems at cloudscale in a technically rewarding environment
What We’ll Expect From You:
- A passion for developing, testing, and shipping well-engineered code (Go, a plus!)
- Experience testing, automating, operating, and troubleshooting production systems
- Experience with Linux operating systems and familiarity with networking fundamentals
- Excitement about designing and operating services at scale or in the cloud
- Familiarity with the classes of data stores such as relational databases, key-value stores, timeseries, full-text search engine, and message queues (Experience with ETCD, MySQL, TimescaleDB, Prometheus, Kafka, Elasticsearch, and Consul a plus!)
- A desire to learn automation and orchestration tools such as Ansible, Chef and/or Salt
- Enthusiasm to understand deployment and operations of container orchestration frameworks like Kubernetes into production bare metal or VM environments
- Bonus: Familiarity with HTTP and RPC/gRPC APIs and design
Why you'll like working at DigitalOcean:
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym stipend to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC and Cambridge, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
For all CO residents, please click here
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!