Do you ever wonder what happens inside the cloud?
Headquartered in New York but based around the world, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.
We want people who are passionate about solving large scale complex distributed systems challenges.
We are looking for a highly motivated and experienced technical engineering manager to support our engineers and engineering culture, most specifically leading the team developing our software defined Networking products. This person will be responsible for aiding career development, motivating and monitoring engineers, working with engineering leads to evaluate an engineer’s performance, providing coaching, and counseling as needed.
We are looking for someone with a great understanding of teams and process, who will be accountable for the engineering team’s performance and quality. You will also manage the recruitment, selection, and retention of the team as we continue to grow and scale. This role reports into the Director of our Cloud Networking pillar and can be worked remotely within the United States or Canada or from our offices in New York City.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Recruiting, managing, and maintaining a world-class engineering team working on core software defined networking technologies including Hypervisor Networking Datapath (running on OVS), Public and Private Network Encapsulations, VPC connectivity, Network SLA/SLM, Network Performance
- Collaborate across the organization and consistently interface with Systems, Infrastructure, Support, and Product teams.
- Develop Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and utilize these KPIs to measure and report on the success of the team.
- Maintain existing SLOs and SLIs for current technology stacks, as well as iteratively add new SLO and SLIs for newly deployed software and technologies
- Collaborate with Product and Engineering teams to define yearly and quarterly roadmaps, ensure successful product and feature rollouts including requirement analysis, capture, and documentation
- Drive architecture for complex systems by determining current limitations and working with the team to come up with solutions.
- Collaborating with technical leads and contributing to the overall architecture, design, and development of core projects related to core networking
- Managing software project schedules using various life cycle approaches (we are an Agile-lite shop) and related methodologies using a variety of tools
- Boosting communication and facilitating ongoing continuous feedback loops between engineers and the engineering leads
- Supporting the professional goals and development opportunities for the entire team - Providing coaching and counseling via mentoring, one-on-one meetings, organize regular performance appraisals
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Direct experience with managing, coaching, and mentoring software engineers - a people first attitude
- Domain expertise in Networking stack and having shipped products at scale with a strong customer focus
- Proven track record of managing and delivering projects throughout the entire SDLC, delivering products to market on schedule and ensuring feedback loops from customers work their way into development
- Experience introducing and growing a quick release development environment with short cycles
- Good cross-disciplinary collaboration experience between engineering, technical operations, and product groups
- Solid knowledge of end-to-end quality best practices
- Experience with staffing, interviewing, retaining and building high performing teams
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and follow-up
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning, O’Reilly tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge and Palo Alto, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
For all CO residents, please click here
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!