BuzzFeed is the world’s leading independent digital media and tech company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally and spreads Joy and Truth across the internet.
Our portfolio of brands are household names that people rely on to inform and entertain, including: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, Nifty, Bring Me, Cocoa Butter, Pero Like, Worth It, and Unsolved to name a few! These properties and their Creators reach over 134M people a month through articles, lists, videos, animations, quizzes, podcasts, original series, newsletters and more.
BuzzFeed and Tasty are looking for a driven, creative, and internet-obsessed writer and editor to join its food properties.
The ideal candidate is someone who is tuned in to everything people are sharing, eating, cooking, and talking about when it comes to All Things Food. They will be able to produce work quickly, experiment with lots of different content types, and be interested in analyzing the results of their work.
You should have enough food or cooking knowledge to share tips and tricks, and enough of a low-key (or high-key) internet obsession to quickly find, drive, and react to current food trends and news. One week might have you writing a grocery storage guide, testing out viral drink hacks, and rounding up reactions to a fast food launch.
If you're the type of person who spent quarantine cooking up everything from whipped coffee to feta pasta; or someone who’s never met a meal planning challenge or Trader Joe’s aisle you couldn’t conquer; or someone who plans all your vacations around food first, everything else second — we want to hear from you!
BuzzFeed is working remotely through at least September 2021, and being based in NYC or LA is ideal for an eventual return to our offices. However, we are open to considering candidates who are legally authorized to work in the US without sponsorship in the following states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, DC, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, and Washington.
- Write, edit, and commission food posts that are shareable, helpful, entertaining, and cater to a diverse audience
- Create service-driven food content — like cooking guides, recipe roundups, and expert-sourced explainers — with an eye on SEO
- Stay up-to-date with current happenings and trending topics around food and cooking — like menu launches, food news, and anything bubbling up on Reddit, TikTok, or Instagram
- Monitor and analyze your posts' traffic, performance, and audience impact
- Potentially help manage a small freelance network
- 1-3 years experience writing and editing content about food, cooking, and/or lifestyle for a website or magazine (or exemplary blogging/writing experience)
- Sharable and conversational writing and editing skills, including strong spelling, grammar, and attention to detail
- Ability to optimize content for maximum engagement across platforms like Google Discover, TikTok, Instagram, Pinterest, and Flipboard
- An understanding and appreciation of BuzzFeed’s and Tasty’s voice and diverse audience (primarily Gen Z and Millennial)
- A genuine love of food in all its forms!
FYI — just because you don’t meet every requirement doesn’t mean we don’t want to hear from you. If you think you’d be a good fit for the job anyway, use your application to show us why!
In lieu of a traditional cover letter, please include a response to the following with your application:
- Tell us about your food x quarantine experience: What was the best thing you cooked, ate, and/or watched? How did your cooking or eating habits change (or not change)?
- What are the 3 best cooking tips you’d give to a beginner? How about a seasoned home cook? What’s the smartest or most underrated kitchen hack you know?
- Tell us about a few food-related things you’re obsessed with. (Could be: Under-the-radar IG or TikTok accounts; TV shows, podcasts, or newsletters; secret menu items; small businesses, etc)
- Include links to any relevant previous work, social media profiles, or portfolios.
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.