At Compass, we envision a world where the experience of selling or buying a home is simple and pleasant for everyone. Founded in 2012, Compass provides an end-to-end platform that empowers residential real estate agents to deliver exceptional service to their seller and buyer clients, all in service of our mission to help everyone find their place in the world.
As a Counsel at Compass, you work on exciting matters that require proactive legal guidance. You're part of a group of talented in-house lawyers and the projects you work on challenge you to think creatively and constructively. You are energetic and collaborative -- ready to partner in initiatives that influence all aspects of Compass’s business and work with employees and agents across the company. Your contributions will be impactful, value driven, and you will play an instrumental role on the Compass Legal Team.
At Compass You Will:
- Serve as attorney and advisor for compliance initiatives across the organization, with a primary focus on title and escrow services
- Advise business teams and provide support on legal issues and risks by employing business judgment and identifying risks
- Implement practical, business-minded legal risk mitigation strategies when vetting various new initiatives and day-to-day business operations to ensure that our products, services, marketing, and processes comply with law
- Help scale and develop a best-in-class risk management program, with a concentration on title and escrow services, that incorporates multi-jurisdictional and interdisciplinary areas of the law, local business practice, innovative training programs, and user-friendly resources
- Remain up-to-date on regulatory changes and industry best practices and communicate such changes effectively to business stakeholders
- Actively oversee and work collaboratively with outside counsel; collaborate externally with regulators and public authorities on an as-needed basis
- Support the continuous improvement of compliance initiatives, business operations, integration and policies
What We Look For:
- Strong academic credentials including a JD and membership in good standing in at least one state bar (NY or CA bar a plus)
- 4+ years at top-tier law firm, in-house legal department, and/or government agency, preferably in litigation and/or corporate compliance (with emphasis on matters related to title and escrow, mortgage experience a plus)
- Familiarity with and experience applying multi-state and federal laws and regulatory frameworks (e.g. TILA, RESPA, ECOA, GLBA, UDAAP, TCPA, CAN-SPAM, CCPA, and state laws relating to title, escrow, and/or mortgage)
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills, the ability to work independently, manage several simultaneous projects under deadline pressure in a dynamic, fluid environment
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and ability to distill complex legal issues
- A team player and consensus builder #collaboratewithoutego
- A willingness to learn new areas of law, acquire new skills, and take on additional and/or new responsibilities within the team on an “as-needed” basis
- Confidence operating in a fast-paced environment and knowing when to escalate issues to appropriate stakeholders
At Compass, we believe that everyone deserves to find their place in the world — a place where they feel like they belong, where they can be their authentic selves, where they can thrive. Our collaborative, energetic culture is grounded in our Compass Entrepreneurship Principles and our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, growth and mobility. As an equal opportunity employer, we offer competitive compensation packages, robust benefits and professional growth opportunities aimed at helping to improve our employees' lives and careers.