As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
The role of the Chief of Staff is to extend the CFO’s internal and external reach, align the accounting, finance and office operations divisions’ leadership team on priority initiatives and special projects, and strengthen the divisions’ management team relationships across Vox Media. The Chief of Staff acts as a thought partner to the CFO and a part of an organization's leadership team. This person is expected to participate in senior level decision-making within the CFO organization structure (and be responsible for scaling and operationalizing key decisions).
What you'll do:
- Align division management and team on priority initiatives and special projects.
- Ensure Finance’s senior leaders [this org’s senior leaders] have a unified, aligned approach to cross-functional initiatives.
- Keep FP&A and Accounting leadership organized and moving forward in the execution of high-priority, cross-functional initiatives through coordinated project plans.
- Create space for leaders and managers to have strategic conversations about the business and culture.
- Prioritize and form key messages and next steps from a stream of CFO ideas, meetings, and conversations.
- Develop plans for communicating key messages throughout the organization.
- Support CFO with the management and execution of priority/special projects.
- Continue to enhance and execute a strategic diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) plan for the department, aligned with a multi-year company DEI strategy and work already being done on the team and across the company.
- Run key operating functions for the overall [finance & accounting] departments and [the] leadership team.
- Maintain and improve our division-wide, leadership, and departmental communication systems, including company priorities, network and lines of business LOB plans, department all-hands, team, building etc.
- Maintain and improve best practices for how the finance department works, communicates, and serves as both a partner and service function to the company.
- Coordinate and evaluate how finance management should spend their time together, including running the weekly/monthly meetings, offsites, and social gatherings.
- Be a thought partner to leadership on the organization’s vision, priorities, challenges, and team.
- Extend CFO’s internal and external reach.
- Track on division’s priority initiatives that are being driven by leaders throughout the organization and report back on progress to CFO.
- Act as the communication arm for CFO with other executives in the organization, other Chiefs of Staff /Operations leaders, clients or major stakeholders.
- Write first drafts of proposals, emails, letters, agendas, etc for CFO.
- Help CFO prioritize time and appointments.
- Build relationships across the organization at all levels.
- Be an organizational listener and support device through formal and informal channels.
- Provide insight to the CFO about what her team and the divisions need from her.
- Leads and tracks on initiatives as proxy for CFO as necessary/appropriate.
The ideal candidate is:
- Fluent in financial terms & processes (for example, has had some experience in investment banking or financial services, or in an in-house finance function).
- An experienced project manager who enjoys building a project plan and timeline and executing on it with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Interested in systems organization, and building and maintaining strong and diverse teams.
- Has experience managing not only projects but also executives and teams.
- A strong communicator.
- Highly emotionally intelligent.
- Able to maintain confidentiality and exercise high discretion and sound judgement.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.