Purpose builds and supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, and habitable world. We use public mobilization and storytelling to help leading organizations, activists, businesses, and philanthropies engaged in this fight, and we create campaigning labs and new initiatives that can shift policies and change public narratives when it matters most.
To do this, Purpose brings together world-class talent from the world of creatives, content development, storytelling, campaigning, grassroots organizing, and political strategy to build new creative campaigning models.
Guided by smart strategy and powered by participation, our work reframes issues, engages new audiences, shifts public discourse, and ultimately drives targeted action and creates lasting impact. Join the team that made all this work!
ABOUT THE ROLE
Purpose is seeking an experienced Content Strategist to work with our team to drive the execution of campaigns projects across digital channels.
The ideal candidate will primarily have experience planning, writing, and editing content and can advise on strategic distribution across social, email, and on websites. They will have experience managing social media properties with large followings, including creating and updating content calendars, and assisting with the technical integration to create a strategic and engaging content experience.
The ideal Content Strategist candidate will have experience managing large email lists, and with writing, staging, and sending email, including segmentation, testing, and reporting.
They will have demonstrated the ability to solve complex problems and oversee multiple moving pieces in a fast-paced and creative client service environment.
This is a contract-based position with a duration of 3 months, and possibility of conversion to full time employment based on a number of factors, including performance. Once converted, this role will be offered at the Associate Manager tier with a salary range of $63,000 - $75,000 per year, commensurate with experience.
The role reports to a mid-to-senior Strategy Team Member and is based in Purpose's New York headquarters. Candidates who can begin immediately are strongly encouraged to apply. This role will be remote for the next few months, until it is safe to go back to normal office operations.
The Content Strategist will join Purpose’s Campaigns team, working on digital campaign execution across a range of client-service and funder-driven projects. As the Content Strategist, you will:
- Write, plan, and execute content strategies across social, web and email
- Develop content calendars, and write individual posts, for client and partner social media properties in support of our campaigns
- Work with project teams to help identify rapid-response campaign opportunities based on what’s happening in today’s news cycle
- Work with our Strategy and Campaigns team to develop campaign strategies aimed at mobilizing target audiences to participate in creating meaningful social change
- Work with our Creative team on developing campaign opportunities, and to co-develop compelling creative campaign concepts
- Participate in brainstorms to develop creative content ideas for short films, websites and digital experiences, that complement on-the-ground activations
- Manage relationships with paid media vendors, web developers, designers, videographers, and creative consultants to advise strategic direction on campaign execution
- Manage content production, create and oversee content flight plan, monitor and optimize content performance
- You have 4+ years of combined digital media experience
- You are a talented writer, especially in email and social media formats
- You enjoy solving complex problems in developing opportunities, ideas, and solutions
- You have a track record of successfully managing content creation across digital spectrum: social, email, web, paid and organic media
- You understand the intersection of online and offline organizing, mobilization, and direct action
- You can balance and integrate feedback from multiple sources, including project leaders and cross-functional colleagues, and clients
- You are a storyteller and strategic thinker and have a good understanding of nonprofit and advocacy communications
- Ideal candidates will also have experience with paid media and placement, testing, and optimization of paid social campaigns, but this is not a requirement
- Ideal candidates will be able to write, route, A/B test, segment, code, and send campaign emails to client and partner email lists
- You are familiar with digital campaigning and movement-building, and/or issue areas of strong relevance to Purpose’s mission
- You are committed to building an equitable, diverse, & inclusive workplace
- You carry high personal integrity, with commitment to creating progressive change in the world
- You have the right to work in the US
NICE TO HAVE BUT NOT REQUIRED SKILLS
- Experience with creative briefs/campaign briefs
- Experience with HTML of producing campaign emails
- Basic knowledge of Wordpress and Github
- Familiarity with content management systems (Sprout, Keyhole, Sprinklr, HootSuit, or others) & CRM platforms
If these are the things that get you up in the morning, we want to hear from you! Please submit your resume and a cover letter that gives us insight into your passion and qualifications for the role.
Purpose is an equal opportunity employer! We take on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities and backgrounds in different ways. We believe we are stronger and most effective with a diverse team leading the charge. People of color, LGBTQIA+ individuals and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.