WHO WE ARE:
The People Team is responsible for building and supporting a diverse team. We’re accountable to the full BARK team for ensuring an inclusive, dog-centric environment where everyone can do their best work. This includes recruiting, human resources, employee experience, payroll & benefits, people analytics, IT and more. We work collaboratively, efficiently, and humbly to ensure BARK as a whole is set up for success, whether that means keeping the cold brew keg full or navigating BARK through a global pandemic.
Based in New York City or Seattle, the Chief People Officer will report to the CEO, Manish Joneja. They will be a strategic thought partner for the leadership team and responsible for leading all functions within the People organization. As BARK continues to grow and scale, the Chief People Officer will design, develop, and implement innovative programs to promote a high-performance, energetic, and engaged workforce. The Chief People Officer will align and build the People team to support business goals and objectives and will serve as a critical driver of performance within the organization.
The Chief People Officer at BARK will join a fast-moving, entrepreneurial team with an eye toward strategic execution. They will have the ability to maintain the flexibility of a start-up culture and act nimbly in balancing short-term and long-term objectives while employing a bias for action. This individual will build upon BARK’s existing foundation and innovation to enhance processes and frameworks around talent acquisition, learning and development, organizational design and compensation strategy.
WHO WE’RE SNIFFIN FOR:
The successful candidate will be a passionate and strategic leader with a track-record within high-performing People organizations, ideally having led the function through an IPO. They will have the proven ability to execute and build scalable processes and systems within growth organizations and roll up their sleeves to dig into the details. The successful candidate will be team-oriented and a strong decision maker - an individual who is able to drive consensus and serve as a collaborative change agent.
The Chief People Officer will be an external evangelist and seen as an expert within their field. Internally, they will be an enabling force, constantly raising the performance bar while keeping the team focused on growing the business.
- Partner with leadership team to develop a comprehensive strategic roadmap to building the People function to support the company's growth
- Develop a strategic talent strategy, including employment branding, talent channel development, candidate engagement and assessment as well as metrics and analytics
- Counsel and guide hiring managers with competitive market intelligence
- Implement new learning and development programs to provide employees with the necessary tools to be most effective in their roles and satisfied with their career development as the company grows and scales
- Build Culture & Connection. Amplify our core values and create opportunities for employee connection; keeping our people informed, engaged, and inspired.
- Work to develop a deep understanding of BARK’s workforce diversity, inclusiveness and retention opportunities
- Develop and administer a competitive, contemporary compensation program by completing regular market analysis, designing pay structures, conducting cost analyses and effectively implementing improvements
- Cultivate Team Leadership and Senior Leadership. Coach, mentor, and develop individuals on the People & Culture team, and continue to elevate the organization to perform at a world-class level. Be a visible member of the executive team and a trusted advisor to departmental and operational leaders at all levels in the company; work to build, align, energize and retain key leaders at all levels
- 10+ years of experience running People/HR teams at a VP or higher capacity in a fast paced, high-growth, and highly engaged environment
- 8+ years managing compensation strategy, performance management systems, promotion protocols, compliance, L&D or coaching programs, HRIS, etc
- 5+ years of experience working at a similarly sized company (500+)
- Experience being a member or trusted partner to an Executive Team, preferably in a public company
- Experience building and/or expanding a Global workforce
- Experience advising through an IPO a plus!
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Understand the cutting edge, high involvement work practices that support a growth environment
- Have a proven track record of creating and implementing high-quality people programs and strategies that can scale
- Build strong relationships across the organization and possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Have a deep passion for culture and people, with a strong instinct for managing and developing talent across all areas of the organization
- Be thoughtful in balancing short-term and long-term objectives while employing a bias for action
- Be able to work well under pressure while dealing with multiple competing priorities
This position is a full-time, salaried position located in either NYC or Seattle, WA. We offer health insurance for both you and your pup, 401k, wonderful team lunches, cold brew on tap, and a dog to pet anytime you wish.
Here at BARK, we love dogs and their people. We’re looking to make all dogs happy throughout the entire world (we’re not kidding). Think Disney for dogs -- we make magic for dogs and their people through our products, events, and experiences.
Our ambition level is high, the opportunity is huge, and our love for dogs is through the roof! We launched in 2011 with BarkBox, a monthly-themed subscription of all-natural treats and clever toys. Since then, we've shipped more than 70 million toys and treats to the dogs across the world and use all of that direct customer feedback to inform new initiatives and ways to make magic between dogs and their people. We’ve since expanded into other offerings as well, as we aim to become THE Dog Company for every family with a four-legged, belly-scratch-loving, interspecies family member.