Hi, we're Oscar. We’re hiring a Senior Search Engineer to join our Engineering team in our New York City office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 and headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, and human. We need your help to do so.
About this role:
As a Senior Search Engineer, you’ll be helping us develop and operate search data pipelines and services. You’ll mentor engineers to help them design for stability, flexibility, performance, and scalability across multiple information retrieval applications.
We take pride in our small teams (engineers <= 5), our efforts (deploys > 100/day), and our ambition (deployment frequency == everyday).
You will report into a leader on the Engineering team in the NYC office.
What we’re building:
- A search engine that connects members to the care they need when they need it
- An enrichment layer (including named entity recognition) for our medical terms/doctor search
- Multiple information retrieval microservices that expose APIs to internal and external applications for ranked recommendations and full text search across a variety of entity types and query patterns.
- Building out performant, scalable pipelines for indexing data from real-time data sources
- Developing mission critical query parsing and ranking algorithms
- Performance tuning search clusters to accommodate increased data volume, complex data types, and a variety of querying patterns
- Measuring and improving search relevance and underlying data taxonomies
- Learn new languages and technologies as needed. Our tech stack includes Python, ElasticSearch, gRPC, Kafka, BigQuery, Postgres, and more.
- You’ve been programming professionally for 5+ years
- You have experience with building search products, data pipeline platforms, or recommendation engines
- You have hands-on experience with an information retrieval system or search engine (such as ElasticSearch, Solr, or Lucene) and relevant information retrieval background knowledge.
- You have a good understanding of the following: distributed systems, microservices and APIs, data structures and algorithms
- You have experience proposing, experimenting, and iterating, whether it be a new shiny technology or an arcane, ill-conceived data structure; our company may be new, but the health industry isn’t!
- You care about what you do.
- You care about what we do.
Anything else is a bonus. We believe diversity is an important ingredient in building something great. All backgrounds welcome.
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds and perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, and we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, and volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.