Hi, we're Oscar. We’re hiring an Operations Engineer to join our Insurance Operations team in our New York City office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 and headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, and human. We need your help to do so.
About this role:
You will work within Oscar’s Operations organization to improve upon Oscar’s infrastructure and underlying logic, playing an important role in the transition to next-generation technology platforms for core insurance functions. You will design the rules that determine broker commissions, a primary operation supporting member enrollments, and setting up data quality systems and guardrails to ensure the function’s ongoing success. Working with Oscar’s Tech, Data, and Operational Process teams, you will be the owner of projects to contribute to our partners’ unique experience and will be necessary to supporting Oscar’s growing membership.
You’ll work with the Insurance Operations Automation team, Data, Engineering, and business lead. We’ll expect you to understand complexity in many dimensions, distill it, and explain it in simple, structured terms to several audiences and levels.
You will report into the Senior Operations Manager.
During the first 6 weeks you will:
- Developed an understanding of the operations ecosystem (including the underlying technology) and its current strengths, weaknesses, and gaps.
- Internalized the coding languages and data structures used in both older health industry systems and the next generation tech platform that Oscar is building.
- Begun to form a working relationship with partners.
During the first 6 months you have:
- Independently built scripts and tools to ensure seamless data integrations between Oscar’s external partners and its new insurance technology stack.
- Become an expert on the main member, provider, and claims data models used in health insurance operations.
- Partnered with the Claims Engineering and Data departments to structure and operationalize the next generation of health insurance operations.
On an ongoing basis you will:
- Build and oversee Claims, Member, and Provider data technical projects tied to important operations and strategic priorities.
- Distill the requirements of new product and market expansions and design automated workflows to reduce manual work requirements.
- Support the Claims, Member, Provider, and Clinical operations teams to resolve provider and member escalations through issue investigation, training, and technical tooling.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years experience in a technical role (QA analyst, PM, operations analyst, finance, consulting, or industrial engineering)
- Experience working with complex financial data
- Experience using SQL and Python to solve complex problems
- Experience distilling complex concepts and workflows into clear content for all kinds of audiences
Experience following through on ideas for improvement, including a hand in implementation.
- An academic or professional background in coding, math, statistics, or data science
- Knowledge and passion for healthcare or health insurance
- Knowledge management, training, or content development experience
- Startup experience
An enjoyment experimenting and iterating on ways to solve a problem
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds and perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, and we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, and volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.