BuzzFeed is the world’s leading independent digital media and tech company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally and spreads Joy and Truth across the internet.
Our portfolio of brands are household names that people rely on to inform and entertain, including: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, Nifty, Bring Me, Cocoa Butter, Pero Like, Worth It, and Unsolved to name a few! These properties and their Creators reach over 134M people a month through articles, lists, videos, animations, quizzes, podcasts, original series, newsletters and more.
The BuzzFeed Data Group is looking for a full stack software engineer to join its Data Accessibility team. This team builds various internal tools, dashboards, and systems to provide access to nearly 1 PB of data and empower stakeholders across the business, content, and tech organizations to make informed decisions and build data driven products. This role presents an opportunity for high impact as you’ll help to shape the frontend engineering vision for these tools while also contributing to the backend systems which power them.
You’ll report to a Senior Engineering Manager in New York, surrounded by passionate people who are generous with their time and want to help you grow at BuzzFeed. You’ll work with engineering, product, design, and data colleagues globally across time zones. We are currently working remotely, and we expect to eventually re-open our offices when it is safe to return, in 2021. After re-opening, candidates will be expected to come into the New York or Minneapolis office.
- You’ll own the frontend vision and implementation of our internal dashboard and reporting interfaces, with attention to performance, maintainability, and user experience
- You’ll contribute to the maintenance and improvement of our backend data accessibility systems
- You’ll work with other software engineers, designers, product managers, and data analysts to understand and shape work before it becomes code and after it ships to production
- You’ll reach across the entire tech stack at BuzzFeed and get a deep understanding of large-scale media companies’ architecture and operations
- Significant coding experience on the frontend and have delivered complex initiatives to production
- The ability to build inclusive, accessible systems and are comfortable making informed product decisions in their pursuit
- You are a passionate and empathetic engineer who enjoys contributing to and leading technical projects and working with engineers at all levels
- You value testing, instrument and document your work
- You adapt quickly to change and love to ship and iterate, building on new user research, insights and data
About the Products
- Our data infrastructure is built on GCP with BigQuery serving as our data warehouse. This data is surfaced to stakeholders through our internal tools as well as business intelligence tools like Looker, Mode, and DataStudio.
- Our frontend consists of several JS frameworks, such as React, Preact, and T3
- Our backend services are written in Python, Go, or Node depending on the scope and context of the service
- Monitoring and instrumentation is essential for our advertising stack. We use a combination of Datadog, Sentry, and proprietary services
- We believe in ownership over the entire engineering cycle - the same engineers architect, build, test, deploy, monitor, and run their services using containers on AWS/GCP
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
- A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
- Plenty of snacks (healthy and indulgent), catered lunches, beverages, etc..
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.