The Security Engineering team is a trusted partner throughout the organization. We work hard to make Betterment the most secure place for our customers’ money. We do this by building tools for our development teams, improving the security and integrity of our systems and adding monitoring and visibility into our services. This helps us move faster and smarter, all while done within a highly regulated and secure environment.
You have experience as a software engineer or security professional working with various stakeholders across the organization. You use this experience to guide your decision making, ranging from communication style to software architecture. You are a highly motivated engineer who will work on tasks such as delivering new tools and systems that make engineering more impactful or working with your peers to help improve the security and reliability of our systems. You will work with our Security Operations Center (SOC) to monitor, triage, and remedy security events while also improving detection logic. You are always keeping up with what is going on within the tech industry and strive to learn and share your knowledge with colleagues. You are interested in collecting data and metrics and know how to use them to effectively drive change.
A Day in the Life:
- Understand attacker methodology and defend against them by threat hunting, building detection mechanisms, and automating remediation procedures.
- Continuously improve security detection and audit capabilities using tools and signals that evolve with the ever changing security landscape and threats.
- Work directly in building and integrating security tooling & features, & work across engineering teams to ensure secure consumer products and employee systems
- Collaborate with other engineering teams to guide security & privacy initiatives by participating in design reviews, code reviews, & threat modeling
- Create alert logic, metrics and tooling and remedy security events
- Introduce and promote adoption of significant technologies and process innovations
- Promote high quality, secure software through software delivery pipeline automation
- Build out our Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) solution, incident response, and forensic capabilities.
- Pentest our various web and mobile applications and our networks and servers alongside our expert team
What We’re Looking For:
- Lean towards tackling large challenges by picking them apart, observing, experimenting, and gathering metrics that can help drive the team towards better observability
- Responded to security incidents and built out tooling to automate response
- Have experience with cloud providers and configuration management (e.g. AWS or GCP)
- Know the importance of architecting and building systems for High-availability, Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery
- Actively grow your own skills and have a strong technical background
- Work autonomously with minimal direction and oversight
What Being at Betterment Means for You:
Joining Betterment means joining a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your health and well-being, and being on a journey of non-stop growth and evolution.
- You’ll join a Community:
- Betterment is a place to bring your best self. We welcome families (and pets) for all our activities such as lunches, company retreats, and celebrations.
- Make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, and regular knowledge sharing.
- You’ll stay Happy and Healthy:
- Regardless of where you are, we will ensure you're well set up and cared for, through gym reimbursements, a customizable workstation, enrollment in our 401(k) service, flexible parental leave, and a whole suite of thoughtful benefits.
- You’ll have unlimited paid personal and vacation days, and a team that cares about your whole life, not just what you’re working on.
- You’ll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills and abilities through Betterment University courses and additional spending for outside learning.
- Contribute to our knowledge and transparent workspace through mentoring and career coaching programs, weekly company meetings, show & tells and BetterDev.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $22 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 480,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.