Premise is growing! We’re hiring a Geospatial Data Scientist in Washington, DC. You will collaborate with diverse teams of data scientists, mobile and backend developers. This position will be responsible for cartography, geospatial analytics, python scripting, and geospatial data enrichment to enable the locational aspects of Premise data. This position will have an impact on both internal and customer facing platforms for attribute rich geospatial data.
Premise is a worldwide network and predictive analytics platform bringing visibility to the world’s hardest-to-see places. We enable global decision-makers to move faster and make smarter decisions by employing local, on-the-ground contributors to observe and collect real-time data. Our current clients include The United States Agency for International Development (USAID), The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and The United States Department of State (DOS). A $66M Series C Venture Capital organization, we are backed by Google Ventures, SocialCapital, and Andreessen Horowitz, among others. Learn more about us at www.premise.com; or follow us at @premisedata
We are a passionate, tight-knit, super-driven team that moves fast, appreciates candor, and deeply values the diversity of our backgrounds. Our diversity mirrors the global nature of our work: we've lived in 30 countries, speak 14 languages, and believe in the value of life experience that an unconventional background inherently brings. What unites us is our innate curiosity and collective ambition to build technology that ultimately has a measurable human impact.
What you get to do:
- You will work to turn raw data with geospatial attributes into meaningful informational maps that can be easily digested by a non-technical person.
- Aggregate multiple geospatial datasets to with Premise data to gain insight into changing sentiment across the globe.
- Utilize Python and packages to write code towards enrichment, analysis, and visualization of spatial data.
- Identify and leverage opportunities to continually improve data quality, systems, processes, and standards.
- You will collaborate with other data scientists, analysts, product managers, operations, and other departments to ensure products and technology meets internal standards.
Your background likely includes:
- 1-3 years of experience, BS or MS in Geography, Geographical Information Systems, Data Science, Computer Science or equivalent work experience & analytical skills.
- Experience with ArcGIS or QGIS for desktop geospatial data processing.
- Experience with Python and associated packages for processing geospatial data.
- Intermediate level SQL writing skills (Google BigQuery a plus but not necessary).
- Passion for learning and sharing knowledge with the team around you.
- Experience with data analysis, quality, cleaning, and extraction/validation tools.
- Experience with visualization tools like Periscope Data, Data Studio, Tableau, ArcGIS a plus.
Thomson Reuters Foundation: Armed with tech tools, Colombian cities combat mosquito-borne diseases
The New York Times: Lawrence Summers to join Board of hyperdata startup
Washington Post: These smartphone photos can help shape national policy