Earnest empowers people with the financial capital they need to live better lives.
We use technology, data, and design to:
- Build more affordable products
- Deliver them to more people
- Engage through more human experiences
As a Senior Data Engineer, you will report to the Head of Data and work closely with other members of the Data team to maintain and improve data pipelines, deploy predictive models as a service, and work on our data infrastructure.
- We believe that data engineers should not write ETL, unless data pipelines are necessary to support the services that we build and maintain. Instead, your time is better spent writing tooling and creating abstractions to support the work of analysts and data scientists on the team, so that other users in the company can write and maintain their own ETL.
- Everyone on the team is considered and treated as a Senior, so you are given a lot of ownership over the projects you're working on. With this in mind, we expect you to write code that is well tested, modular, and maintainable. We frown at instances of destructive fire fighting, caused by badly designed architecture or mismanaged projects.
- We like learners. Hence, we create an environment where Data Scientists learn the skills and abstraction patterns of Software Engineers and Data Engineers learn the iterative model development workflow seen in Machine Learning. Expect an environment where you will be constantly learning and challenged to interact with tools, languages, frameworks that are outside of your area of expertise.
Tools, Frameworks, and Languages you will work with:
- Languages: Python, Scala, and occasionally R and Node.js
- Storage: Postgres, Redshift, S3
- Compute: Spark, Athena, EC2
- Workflow Management: Airflow
- Infrastructure: Terraform, Kubernetes
- Deploy trained machine learning models as a Python microservice.
- Help migrate legacy ETLs into Airflow
- Write tooling to make ETL accessible to engineers on other teams.
Ideal background and expertise:
- 5+ years of experience as a full-time professional data engineer
- Experience with server-side concepts, e.g. microservices, database, caching, performance, monitoring and scalability
- 3+ years of experience with Python or Scala
- Working experience with OLTP databases such as Postgres, MySQL
- Extensive experience making data available in OLAP databases such as Redshift or Snowflake
- Experience with orchestration tools such as Airflow (preferred), Luigi, Ooozie
Nice to Have:
- Familiarity with Business Intelligence tools such as Tableau, Looker, Superset
- Domain experience developing software for Fintech, Banking, or related Consumer Financial Services companies
Earnest Perks & Benefits:
- Health, Dental, & Vision benefits plus savings plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- 401(k) plan to help you save for retirement plus a company match
- Tuition reimbursement program
- $1000 flight on each Earnie-versary to anywhere in the world and 25 days of annual PTO
Earnest provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, genetics, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for the position in a manner consistent with the Fair Chance Ordinance.