At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
Are you a Game Designer with excellent writing chops who loves the intersection of mechanics and flavor? Can you write art briefs and dive deep into some of the worlds biggest IPs, while keeping your head in both the Fun and the Future of gaming? The Magic Studio has an exciting opportunity for a Creative Game Designer on our emerging Universes Beyond product line!
Magic produces multiple set releases and thousands of cards per year, and we are a high-talent, welcoming team seeking someone who is a curious, adaptable, and creative team member to bring their robust writing, collaborative communication, and game design skills to the team!
What You'll Do:
- Write a high volume of art briefs.
- Provide timely feedback to art directors about illustrations, including mechanical relevance continuity concerns for character and lore.
- Lead the creative card text strategy and goals for releases, and drive that development with a team of freelancers.
- Coordinate with designers, creative leads, business partners, and product owners to ensure goals for products are consistently represented.
- Set up your projects for success through IP research and brainstorms with mechanical game designers.
- Participate in playtesting to foster collaborative communication between groups and make sure card set is aligned with each team’s needs.
What You'll Bring:
- Prolific art brief writing skills.
- Excellent communication and organization skills.
- An orientation towards both ownership and flexibility in the game design process.
- Strong research and design document generation skills.
- A deep love for media and popular culture.
- Understanding of the creative design process within a game design environment.
- A bias toward action and eagerness to iterate on ideas collaboratively.
- A passion for using feedback and data to better inform the work.
- A developed perspective on inclusive storytelling within a variety of IPs.
- Some knowledge of the TCG/CCG design space.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please let your recruiter or coordinator know.