At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
This Game Design role draws on your competitive Magic knowledge, your curiosity and enthusiastic proclivity for learning, and a deep, intuitive understanding of game design theory and philosophy. Our team of outstanding Designers collaborate to design and refine cards serving a broad variety of audiences and evaluate and improve the environmental impacts of those cards.
This role is about exploration and learning, solving complex problems, and collaboratively improving our sets. We seek to learn the shape and specifics of the environments we’re building. From there, you’ll work with the team to improve them, whether that’s by tweaking designs, removing them, or coming up with something entirely new.
You don't need to be an experienced designer yet; we'll work with you to refine your natural instincts and skills as a player into an outstanding designer.
What you'll do:
- Keep up to date on card files, build decks, and test interactions between cards.
- Give feedback to Design leadership on Playtests, card designs, interactions, and impressions.
- Solve specific design problems at the card, deck, and environmental level.
- Participate in team meetings and discussions by adding constructive, reasoned, and provocative insights to the conversation.
What you'll bring:
- 2+ years of competitive Magic (success in multiple formats is a huge plus!).
- Comprehensive understanding of Magic’s mechanics and systems.
- Demonstrated ability to build novel and successful Standard decks is strongly preferred.
- Self-motivated curiosity and creative thinking.
- Insightful, nuanced, and eloquent communication to improve our shared vision.
- Flexible, adaptable mind with a constant appetite for knowledge.
- Deeply collaborative outlook and the confidence and trust to work with others.
In the Wizards TCG Studio, we believe diversity of experience is fundamental to creating accessible and fun gaming experiences for *all* of our players. We encourage everyone to consider being a part of our team.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please let your recruiter or coordinator know.